cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Known issues with D-cache and FMC on STM32F7

dave2012
Associate III

Hi,

I'm using a STM32F765 clocked at 216MHz and when D-Cache is enabled it badly affects reads from a device connected via the external FMC address/data bus (NE1, 16 bit data, 10 bit address). The following pictures show the problem (note ringing is caused by non-optimum scope lead grounding)

D-Cache On:

0690X00000Buz5hQAB.jpg

D-Cache off (expected result & same time base as above):

0690X00000Buz6zQAB.jpgD-Cache off (expected result, zoomed in)

0690X00000Buz7EQAR.jpg

I've checked the datasheets and errata but there is no mention of the issue I'm seeing. My multi-layer board is well decoupled, has ground & power planes and traces are short.

Has anyone come across this issue with D-Cache affecting FMC accesses ?

Thanks

Dave

12 REPLIES 12

So what does "badly affects reads" actually mean?

Looks to be doing 16 operations for the cache-line.

Why not turn off caching for the FMC region if you don't want it buffered/cached?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
dave2012
Associate III

Clive

Perhaps 'badly affects' should be re-worded as 'unexpected effect' i.e. I wasn't expecting this behaviour.

I had considered turning off data caching when accessing this device but changing the cache enable setting has a fair bit of overhead. Is there a way of statically excluding the FMC region as your question alludes to ?

Dave

You can config the MPU, likely several examples using a form similar to this

/** 
  * @brief  Configure the MPU attributes as Normal Non Cacheable for SRAM1/2.
  * @note   The Base Address is 0x20010000 since this memory interface is the AXI.
  *         The Region Size is 512KB, it is related to SRAM1 and SRAM2  memory size.
  * @param  None
  * @retval None
  */
static void MPU_Config(void)
{
  MPU_Region_InitTypeDef MPU_InitStruct;

/* Disable the MPU */
  HAL_MPU_Disable();

/* Configure the MPU as Normal Non Cacheable for the SRAM1 and SRAM2 */
  MPU_InitStruct.Enable = MPU_REGION_ENABLE;
  MPU_InitStruct.BaseAddress = 0x20020000; // <<<< Change to FMC base
  MPU_InitStruct.Size = MPU_REGION_SIZE_512KB;
  MPU_InitStruct.AccessPermission = MPU_REGION_FULL_ACCESS;
  MPU_InitStruct.IsBufferable = MPU_ACCESS_NOT_BUFFERABLE;
  MPU_InitStruct.IsCacheable = MPU_ACCESS_NOT_CACHEABLE;
  MPU_InitStruct.IsShareable = MPU_ACCESS_SHAREABLE;
  MPU_InitStruct.Number = MPU_REGION_NUMBER1;
  MPU_InitStruct.TypeExtField = MPU_TEX_LEVEL1;
  MPU_InitStruct.SubRegionDisable = 0x00;
  MPU_InitStruct.DisableExec = MPU_INSTRUCTION_ACCESS_ENABLE;

HAL_MPU_ConfigRegion(&MPU_InitStruct);

/* Enable the MPU */
  HAL_MPU_Enable(MPU_PRIVILEGED_DEFAULT);
}

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
dave2012
Associate III

Many thanks Clive - I had the MPU disabled so I'll have a play to see the effect of this.

Dave

There are two solutions.

Disable caching for a memory region in the MPU. The MPU is documented in the programming manual, not in the reference manual.

MPU->RBAR = ((uint32_t)0x60000000) | MPU_RBAR_VALID_Msk; // using region slot 0, FMC bank 0
MPU->RASR =
	MPU_RASR_XN_Msk            | // 1: Instruction fetches disabled
	(3u << MPU_RASR_AP_Pos)    | // Full access
	(19u << MPU_RASR_SIZE_Pos) | // 1 MB
	MPU_RASR_ENABLE_Msk        |
	0; // TEX,C,B,S are 0 meaning strongly ordered, this is the safest thing

This is more or less the same as what @Community member​  recommends, just avoiding HAL.

The size field is the base 2 logarithm of the size of the region - 1 (1MB = 2^20, so MPU_RASR_SIZE=20-1).

Remap the device into the 0xA0000000 - 0xDFFFFFFF range.

Address space above 0xA0000000 is treated as device memory, not cached by default (see AN4839). You can remap your device to 0xC0000000 by setting

SYSCFG->MEMRMP |= SYSCFG_MEMRMP_SWP_FMC_0;

Thanks berendi, your 2nd sugestion worked a treat!

I'd still like to know why data caching causes 16 reads for a single FMC read request if anyone has any insights.

Dave

Cache cotrollers work that way.

The Cortex-M7 cache is organized into lines (sometimes called rows) that are 32 bytes long. A cache line is either filled or empty (invalid), there is no partially filled line. A read request from a cacheable memory area allocates a cache line and fills it with data. This works great with NAND and DRAM type memories that are organized in rows as well, e.g. if one memory cell of a DRAM is accessed, subsequent accesses to cells in the same row are faster, because the "row is opened", so the cache controller can read the rest of the line fast.

Thanks berendi that makes sense and totally correlates with what I was seeing

Nick van IJzendoorn
Associate III

Although this post helped me there is an improvement to be made to the MPU configuration of Tesla which berendi did. The memory type has to be configured as Device or Strongly Ordered. (as berendi did, but I preferred the HAL implementation because it's better documented for the customer)

Please see the following post for more information on the TEX configuration and/or required memory barriers: https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X00009hog4ISAQ/stm32f7h7-fmc-external-norflash-memory-why-it-works-only-by-use-dsb-command-for-cortexm7?t=1611421398835