cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application non NDEF

pagano.paganino
Associate III

Hello,

Is it possible to use the m24sr module without NDEF?

I would like to accept from a smartphone the selection of a custom application and subsequently other commands.

It's possible to do it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

​Dear Customer,

M24SR  will only respond to the application corresponding to the NDEF Tag Application (with the AID equal to: 0xD27600 00850101).

It will respond with an error if the AID is different, indicating the applet is not present.

If the reader requests to select an application with AID indicating A0 00 00 06 47 2F 00 01, M24SR will respond with an error and it might not suit your purpose unfortunately.

I would recommend to engage with your local FAE to check for other products from STMicrolectronics fitting better your needs.

Regards

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
JP Miller
Senior

​Dear Customer,

Data can be stored in M24SR as either NDEF format or as proprietary format.

A smart phone with a custom application is perfectly capable of reading and writing data to M24SR in any of those 2 formats.

The difference is that with proprietary format, the custom application has to be launched before trying to access the M24SR tag, while with NDEF data, in common cases such as NDEF files containing url, AAR or the such, an Android based smartphone will open the web browser upon detection of the NDEF message, or request the user if it wants to download a new application.

The UpdateFileType command allows to modify the file type of a selected file to Proprietary file (0x05) or NDEF file (0x04).

As examples, the Proprietary file can be accessed with ExtendedReadBinary and UpdateBinary commands, and can be protected with passwords on reads and writes.

Please let us know if you have any further questions on this matter.

Have a good day,

Regards

pagano.paganino
Associate III

Thanks for the quick response,

my goal is to implement the nfc fido protocol (which you can find at url: https://fidoalliance.org/specs/fido-v2.0-ps-20190130/fido-client-to-authenticator-protocol-v2.0-ps-20190130.html#nfc)

Is it possible to do this? Does UpdateFileType allow me to make communication with a smartphone compatible with the fido standard?

I try to be a little more specific.

As you can see at url: https://fidoalliance.org/specs/fido-v2.0-ps-20190130/fido-client-to-authenticator-protocol-v2.0-ps-20190130.html#nfc

The general protocol between a FIDO2 client and an authenticator over ISO7816/ISO14443 is as follows:

1. Client sends an applet selection command
  2. Authenticator replies with success if the applet is present
  3. Client sends a command for an operation
  4. Authenticator replies with response data or error
  5. Return to 3.

FIDO2 client is a smartphone for example or a nfc card reader/writer.

Authenticator is a device with nfc capability (where the m24sr module is mounted).

1. Client sends an applet selection command: 00 A4 04 00 - A0 00 00 06 47 2F 00 01 - 08
  2. Authenticator replies with success if the applet is present ???

At this point i need to know if it is possible to use the m24sr for this purpose.

How can I read what the client wrote on the m24sr and respond appropriately?

Thank you so much for your availability.

Regards,

D.

​Dear Customer,

M24SR  will only respond to the application corresponding to the NDEF Tag Application (with the AID equal to: 0xD27600 00850101).

It will respond with an error if the AID is different, indicating the applet is not present.

If the reader requests to select an application with AID indicating A0 00 00 06 47 2F 00 01, M24SR will respond with an error and it might not suit your purpose unfortunately.

I would recommend to engage with your local FAE to check for other products from STMicrolectronics fitting better your needs.

Regards