cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to evaluate the STM32MP1 platform

FSchr.1
Associate II

I wanted to find out, what it does mean to master the new STM32MP1 platform from the SW development perspective.

I am very familiar with software development for the STM32 Cortex MX Cores and using the IAR Embedded Workbench under Windows.

I have the STM32MP15X-EVAL evaluation board on my desk and I have installed Ubuntu 16.04 on VM-Ware. Then I went trough the getting started material from ST, where the download and debug of a Cortex M4 application is addressed.

and I am able to compile the Cortex M4 demo application OpenAMP_TTY_echo. Then I want to download this application to the evaluation board. Doing so I get the error message from System Workbench for STM32 "The selected serial device is not available anymore".

Googling a little bit around to solve my problem, I recognized that there is a System Workbench for STM32, which is recommended in the getting started and that there is a STM32CubeIDE. I am now a little bit confused which IDE I should use for my evaluation of the platform. I want to write a simple application on the A7 and M4 core and I want to test the inter-processor communication between these cores and I want to get a feeling of the user experience of the download and debug environment.

Is there somebody out there, you can provide some hints or guidelines how can I obtain these goals as fast as possible ?

Looking forward to a well beloved answer

Kind regards Forti

1 REPLY 1
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @Fortunat Schrämmli​ 

Thanks for your message.

We are actually in a transition period from SW4STM32 (System Workbench for STM32) to STM32CubeIDE which support MP1 since the last delivery V1.1.0 in October.

SW4STM32 is no more maintain and supported from now on, to the benefit of STM32CubeIDE, but today both IDE will provide you the same level of feature and maturity.

The getting started section using SW4STM32 is still valid and should work.

As all the documentation, this section might be short term updated to STM32CubeIDE.

For your information STM32CubeIDE can support all legacy SW4STM32 project present in the Cube Firmware package.

Some useful docs :

https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/application_note/group1/d3/41/c2/f8/d1/ca/4a/bd/DM00629854/files/DM00629854.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00629854.pdf

https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/user_manual/group1/7c/55/d0/7d/19/68/49/10/DM00613836/files/DM00613836.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00613836.pdf

Hope it's clear,

BR,

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.