cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I export the serial monitor output as a usable Excel file to plot the data with Excel?

MOtt
Associate II

I am using the STEVAL-IDP005V1 and the terminal emulator, Putty, to output sensor data to my PC. I would like to plot the FFT data using Excel like is mentioned in page 20 of the Quick Start Guide. I have tried using the Putty configuration manager to output the full session to a log, but when I convert the log to an Excel file, all columns of the data in the serial monitor output are all placed in the first column in Excel. If I were to try to plot the data using this format, I would have to separate all 2000+ data points manually into different columns to make a graph using Excel. Is there a way to have the output data placed in multiple columns like is mentioned in the quick start guide? (Pg. 20 of the STEVAL-BFA001V1B Getting started Guide)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
raptorhal2
Lead

At this link:

https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/evaluation-tools/solution-evaluation-tools/communication-and-connectivity-solution-eval-boards/steval-bfa001v1b.html#overview

It says you have an L469 chip, an SWD ST-Link programming and debug interface, and gives links to firmware examples you can modify.

Failing that, use a text editor to manually add commas as required to the Putty file.

Cheers, Hal

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
raptorhal2
Lead

Program the STEVAL to output a comma character after each data variable, then import the file into Excel as a csv file.

Cheers, Hal

Where can I find information on programming it to output a comma after each data variable​?

raptorhal2
Lead

At this link:

https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/evaluation-tools/solution-evaluation-tools/communication-and-connectivity-solution-eval-boards/steval-bfa001v1b.html#overview

It says you have an L469 chip, an SWD ST-Link programming and debug interface, and gives links to firmware examples you can modify.

Failing that, use a text editor to manually add commas as required to the Putty file.

Cheers, Hal

Hi Hal,

Thank you for this solution, I was able to use the STM32Cube IDE to modify the communications .c file of the condition monitoring SRV project and create a new .bin file that has comma separated values I could copy in paste into Excel using Putty's option to output a log as a .csv file.