cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LIS2DH false positives in detection of clicks

Collin Moore
Associate II

Hello all,

I am having an issue with single-click detection. I am getting false click detections at certain threshold values. I found this out yesterday when I had an MCU register lots of clicks repeatedly, but the device was not being shaken.

To test, I set up the LIS2DH as follows (using I2C):

• Reset chip (write CTRL_REG5 with 0x80)
  • Read WHOAMI until it returns 0x33 to make sure it's up
  • Disable ODR and enable all 3 axes (write CTRL_REG1 with 0x07)
  • Write CTRL_REG2 with 0x00 (just to be sure)
  • Send Click to INT1 pin (write CTRL_REG3 with 0x80)
  • Set BDU so I can read values, +/-2g, normal mode (write CTRL_REG4 with 0x80)
  • Set up temperature (write TEMP_CFG_REG with 0xC0)
  • Run Self test (Sets ODR to max, sets SELF_TEST_0, sets back to normal, test passes)
  •  
  • Enable click interrupts on all 3 axes (write CLICK_CFG_REG with 0b010101)
  • write CTRL_REG5 to 0x0
  • Set ODR to 10Hz (write CTRL_REG1,4 accordingly)
  • Set click threshold to 80
  • Set click timeout to 127 (I leave it here always)

Now LIS2DH is set up at 10Hz ODR, with INT1 triggering on click and driving INT1 line high. Then I have a polling function that changes the CLICK_THS value every 5 seconds, and normal polling (more frequently) that watches for INT1 interrupts.

The 5-second poll increments CLICK_THS value up to 127, then sets it to 0 and sets ODR to disabled, then sets to 1 and ODR back to 10Hz, then increments CLICK_THS every 5 seconds from 1 to 127 again.

I have tested 4 devices so far (our manufactured devices with LIS2DH accel onboard. Each one detects false clicks at certain values of CLICK_THS:

• one board at 3, 4,16,17, 59, 60
  • Second board at 2, 3, 10, 11, 65, 66
  • Third board at 1, 2, 11, 12, 65
  • Fourth board at 13, 33, 56

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

All these boards were tested sitting on my desk, with no actual bumping/clicking going on. Also, if there is an actual bump, they will detect it at all but the highest thresholds.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Collin Moore
Associate II

Ok, I found the source of the clicks.

It was not a problem in the accelerometer or code, it was just gravity!

Between all the boards, the most common false-positive clicks happened between 61 and 69 (threshold counts).

The accelerometer was set to +/-2g, and the threshold can go between 1 and 127. When set in the 60s, it is right around 1g (half-scale at +/-2g), and the sensor noise was triggering the click interrupt (it moves 2-3 counts when still, the way I have it set).

I fixed the false positives by turning on HP filtering, which the LIS2DH supports, and my problem is solved!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Collin Moore
Associate II
Collin Moore
Associate II

Ok, I found the source of the clicks.

It was not a problem in the accelerometer or code, it was just gravity!

Between all the boards, the most common false-positive clicks happened between 61 and 69 (threshold counts).

The accelerometer was set to +/-2g, and the threshold can go between 1 and 127. When set in the 60s, it is right around 1g (half-scale at +/-2g), and the sensor noise was triggering the click interrupt (it moves 2-3 counts when still, the way I have it set).

I fixed the false positives by turning on HP filtering, which the LIS2DH supports, and my problem is solved!