cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use the Quad SPI memory controller peripheral on STM32F4xx series to access a PSRAM or SRAM IC rather than a flash IC, and have the data memory map as if internal RAM?

BRobe.1641
Associate II

I am hoping to use the CMSIS/DSP libraries to work on data that I periodically store on external RAM. If it is important, my current plan is to use the Lyontek LY68L6400 PSRAM or the VTI7064 SRAM (more expensive). Both are 64Mb volatile memory ICs that would be suited to my application.

If I can't use the controller I can still use the quad SPI peripheral in indirect mode, but I'd prefer the ease of memory-mapped mode.

3 REPLIES 3

Probably, though you'd need to do your own drivers and bring-up.

If I were you I'd proto-type via a wiring harness or socket on a NUCLEO-144 board. Expect to spend a couple of man-days on it.

Perhaps chat with your local FAE about their experiences, and those of other customers.

https://www.electrodragon.com/w/images/0/04/LY68L6400_0.3.pdf

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Andreas Bolsch
Lead II

You can use SPI-RAM (although these devices are quite rare and expensive), but in memory mapped mode only read is possible. For write you've got to use indirect write mode.

Memory mapped write is possible with the Octo-SPI interface (currently only in L4+, L5 devices).

BRobe.1641
Associate II

Thanks so much, this helps a lot.