cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ULPI clock noise + I/O compensation cell

PHalf.1491
Associate

We are seeing around 400mV of ULPI clock noise (60MHz) on the remaining DAC output with an STM32F427. The data sheet suggests to use the I/O compensation cell when using 100MHz outputs (like all the ULPI interface signals), but information about how to use it is scarce... We are having homologation issues with a harmonic of 60MHz and were hoping the I/O compensation cell could save the day, but setting the enable bit:

/* Turn on I/O Compensation Cell */

RCC->APB2ENR |= RCC_APB2ENR_SYSCFGEN;

SYSCFG->CMPCR |= 1;

Appears to make zero difference...

1 REPLY 1

"Homologation issues" sounds like a late stage when you don't want to redesign things substantially so you don't want to hear this, but you're not likely to fix this just by throwing some code at it. Crosstalk between digital and analog stems from the design details - layout, decoupling details, decoupling of digital and analog power supply and ground domains, high-speed traces length and relative position to other traces especially the analog, high speed traces termination, and quite often , improper return/grounding of high speed signal. To a certain amount it's inevitable using a heavily-digitalized mixed-signal chip, even inside it to a certain amount, especially when it's primarily digital and the analog part is more-less a compromise.

What the compensation cell does is no miracle - it changes the output drive (probably switches on more or less transistors in parallel) as the supply voltage and chip temperature vary.

So, review your PCB layout, especially grounding; try to add flying wires to it returning directly the high-speed traces where the return on board appears to be not straight enough; consider decoupling of analog ground/supply/reference/any-other-analog-related-pin (cut traces+air-mount chokes/filters], add terminations to high-speed traces, change OSPEEDR to lower settings (yes it may still work, the "50MHz" doesn't mean the pin stop working below 50MHz, it just changes the drive/slew rate and it depends on the loading capacitance and traces length/layout/termination and the PHY, whether this causes functional issues or not).

And, this is the last thing you want to hear, but you might ultimately need resort to using an external DAC.

JW

PS. Change your username to a normal nick.