cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want use external loader in STM32F767 with W25Q256, but have no idea,anyone can help me or give me some advice.

Y.P. Lin
Associate II

If i want to use external loader and not in basic list,how can i  write a custom external loader?

I only use cubeIDE and cubeMX,can I write the file(*.stldr)?

I find the W25Q256.flm but can't use it.

6 REPLIES 6

What pins are you using for the QSPI interface?

Sorry not using CubeIDE nor CubeMX, so can't help you with those. The .STLDR is an ELF object, the linker should be able build these.

My primary recommendation would be start by getting a working BSP that can erase, write and read the device. Test it thoroughly in an environment you can debug in.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

0690X00000AsKeTQAV.png

thx your advice!: )

I use QSPI example can test this ,but I want do some image to external flash like this,my spi flash is W25Q256 is not in this list, how can I create it?

There are example sources/projects in [STM32 ST-LINK Utility]\ST-LINK Utility\ExternalLoader\, you can start by reading what's in these. Some of them are Cube-based, although not CubeMX. There's some rudimentary documentation in UM0892 (ST-LINK Utility UM.pdf) chapter 5. Note, that the functions are intended to be run from RAM, so it's important to observe the attached linker files. Also, they can't use interrupts, which makes things even a bit more challenging.

As an alternative to using STLinkUtility (or the Cube Programmer), you may be better off writing a simple application for your board, enabling to transfer data to be programmed e.g. through USART, using some simple protocol e.g. XMODEM.

JW

PS. Change your username to a normal nick.

Writing them is complex, not something I can describe in a couple of minutes in a forum.

The loader is not a full application, but rather an object file that can be loaded into RAM, potentially with others, and providing an API to the programming tool. Testing should be done on the code via an application framework that exercises the loader functionality in a way you can use normal debugging tools and methods.

What pins, specifically, are you using in your board design?​

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

I want try this is QSPI pin, when I use ​32F746GDISCOVERY & N25Q128A it can find in external loader list, so when I use it's no problem.

but now I change MCU to STM32F767IGT6 and spi flash W25Q256 can't find in external loader list,I only know need to create *.stldr file,and use QSPI interface,can any one help me or give me some advice?

The list only shows devices/boards for which custom loaders have been built.

The W25Q256 is not one ST uses, they predominantly use Micron/Intel due to the common ownership of IP and fab over the years.

Custom loaders can be built, but it is a paid help rather than free help activity.