cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is the FMC supposed to behave when a slow write to one address is followed by a read from another address?

TBran.15
Associate II

I have a problem accessing a SRAM connected via a 16bit databus to the FMC on an STM32F469.

The processor is running 168MHz, and the FMC configuration is this:

hsram1.Instance = FMC_NORSRAM_DEVICE;
    hsram1.Extended = FMC_NORSRAM_EXTENDED_DEVICE;
    /* hsram1.Init */
    hsram1.Init.NSBank = FMC_NORSRAM_BANK1;
    hsram1.Init.DataAddressMux = FMC_DATA_ADDRESS_MUX_DISABLE;
    hsram1.Init.MemoryType = FMC_MEMORY_TYPE_SRAM;
    hsram1.Init.MemoryDataWidth = FMC_NORSRAM_MEM_BUS_WIDTH_16;
    hsram1.Init.BurstAccessMode = FMC_BURST_ACCESS_MODE_DISABLE;
    hsram1.Init.WaitSignalPolarity = FMC_WAIT_SIGNAL_POLARITY_LOW;
    hsram1.Init.WaitSignalActive = FMC_WAIT_TIMING_BEFORE_WS;
    hsram1.Init.WriteOperation = FMC_WRITE_OPERATION_ENABLE;
    hsram1.Init.WaitSignal = FMC_WAIT_SIGNAL_DISABLE;
    hsram1.Init.ExtendedMode = FMC_EXTENDED_MODE_DISABLE;
    hsram1.Init.AsynchronousWait = FMC_ASYNCHRONOUS_WAIT_DISABLE;
    hsram1.Init.WriteBurst = FMC_WRITE_BURST_DISABLE;
    hsram1.Init.ContinuousClock = FMC_CONTINUOUS_CLOCK_SYNC_ONLY;
    hsram1.Init.WriteFifo = FMC_WRITE_FIFO_DISABLE;
    hsram1.Init.PageSize = FMC_PAGE_SIZE_NONE;
    /* Timing */
    Timing.AddressSetupTime = 0;
    Timing.AddressHoldTime = 15;
    Timing.DataSetupTime = 15;
    Timing.BusTurnAroundDuration = 15;
    Timing.CLKDivision = 16;
    Timing.DataLatency = 17;
    Timing.AccessMode = FMC_ACCESS_MODE_A;

Note that write FIFO is disabled, and the timing is very slow.

Sometimes when I perform a ldr instruction the value loaded is not as expected.

When this issue occurs I read something like 0x vxyz vxyz. Eg. 0x002e002e where the expected value is 0x60016e70.

I have discovered that the value returned is closely related to the last value written to the SRAM (at another address).

The trace reveals this:

lsls   r2,r2,#0x1F
itt    ne
ldrb   r3,[r1],#0x1
strb   r3,[r0],#0x1 ; instruction (1)
bcc    0x8000382
mov    r0,r12
bx     r14

ldr    r0,[r4]   ; instruction (2)
cmp    r10,r0
beq    0x8024B7A

If the value 0x2E is written at instruction (1) to address at location (3), then the value read at instruction (2) from location (4) is 0x002E002E. If 0x2D is written, then 0x002D002D is read.

The memorydump looks like this.

________address|________0
   SD:60016E64| 0000002E  <-- (5)
   SD:60016E68| 60016E70  <-- expected value (4)
   SD:60016E6C| 0000000D
   SD:60016E70| 4F544F4D
   SD:60016E74| 4F435F52
   SD:60016E78| 4749464E
   SD:60016E7C| 6013002D  <-- value read (3)
   SD:60016E80| 0801151D

Note that it is not the value at the lower address (5) that is returned.

If I add a breakpoint at the instruction (2), or add two nop’s before ldr the correct value is read.

How is the FMC supposed to behave when a slow write to one address is followed by a read from another address?

When the FIFO is disabled I would expect execution of instruction (2) to be extended until the databus is free so the read can be performed. Is this correct?

Is there any difference if the write FIFO is enabled?

The reason the FIFO is disabled is because we have another memory mapped device where we don’t want any caching to be performed.

Can the MPU be used to allow cache in one region and no cache in the other?

Best Regards

Tajs

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Without a clear, simple code accompanying the images, hard to draw definitive conclusions.

But look at this erratum:

0690X00000AsMZQQA3.png

I know it's 'F7 and not 'F469, and I know it's not in the 'F469 erratum (which currently is quite fresh, dated Oct.2019), but they appear to have a similar FMC, and they came out at around the same time.

At this point, you may want to contact ST directly, through the web support form, or through FAE.

JW

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

What SRAM is this exactly?

The timing is given by the diagrams for Mode1 read and write access in DS. Only ADDSET and DATAST impact timing. BUSTURN impacts the idle time between back-to-back accesses, with the exceptions given in the description of BUSTURN field (AFAIK, there's no exception for asynchronous write-to-read).

FIFO should not impact the back-to-back access timing, nor the accesses internal timing.

> Can the MPU be used to allow cache in one region and no cache in the other?

The FIFO cache has nothing to do with MPU (which is part of the processor, at the processor's bus interface). There's no cache attached to the 'F469's processor.

Observe the bus using a LA.

JW

TBran.15
Associate II

The SRAM is a IS61WV204816BLL-10BLI

I have attached two dumps of the bus activity. I only had access to the lower 4 bit of address and data, and no access to the RAM chip select. The speed is at the limit of the bandwith of the analyzer, hence the small deassertion of eg WE when writing two 16 words are not shown.

The first image shows a scenario where there is the expected read, and the right value is available in the register.

0690X00000AsLzIQAV.png

The marker is set where the read is performed. The values 0008 & 0001 is read which matches the lower bits of the expected value.

This image shows a scenario where there is no read.

0690X00000AsLzcQAF.png

The marker is placed at the location where the read should have taken place.

The data on the bus is similar on both images up to the marker.

The only difference on the two situations is that i have enabled the FIFO write in the first run, and disabled it in the second.

It should be mentioned that i tried to slow down (factor 2-4) the AHB clock in order to verify the missing WE deassertions. They showed up nicely and the problem was still there.

But when I enabled the write FIFO the code took a different path, and I was not able capture a comparable flow

Without a clear, simple code accompanying the images, hard to draw definitive conclusions.

But look at this erratum:

0690X00000AsMZQQA3.png

I know it's 'F7 and not 'F469, and I know it's not in the 'F469 erratum (which currently is quite fresh, dated Oct.2019), but they appear to have a similar FMC, and they came out at around the same time.

At this point, you may want to contact ST directly, through the web support form, or through FAE.

JW

Thanks.

It sounds very much like the issue we are facing.

I'll contact ST.

Just got confirmation from ST that the FMC in the F469 does have the same issue.

Once again thank you the the help.

Thanks for coming back with the info.

I wonder, whether this will find its way into the 'F469 Errata, and also, what other 'F4 are affected.

JW