cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello! I´m new with stm mcu´s and I would like to know how to generate a 10ns pulse with stm32f407 discovery kit. Is it possible?

marco siqueira
Associate II

Hello! I´m new with stm mcu´s and I would like to know how to generate a 10ns pulse with stm32f407 discovery kit. Is it possible?

3 REPLIES 3
Chris1
Senior III

It should be possible to configure your board such that a timer's input clock is 100 MHz. The timer can be setup to generate Output Compare after one timer tick, which should generate a 10 ns wide pulse.

Perhaps if you clocked it at 100 MHz, at 168 MHz you could perhaps get 6 or 12ns

I'd imagine you'd configure a TIM in single-shot mode and generate a pulse one cycle wide, or more repetitively via a PWM mode, with and equally narrow pulse width.

10ns seems like something you'd want to consider doing with hardware to account for the "and then" part of your question.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Yes, if you set system clock to 100MHz, and use some of the APB2 timers (TIM1/TIM8).

You also might want the highest GPIO_OSPEEDR setting on the given pin to have fast rise/fall times, but then you might need to have somewhat controlled load impedance to avoid reflections/ringing resulting from improper impedance matching and from improper return/ground.

Don't expect the 10ns to be too precise, though.

I'm not sure this is something you should be after as a novice. Have you mastered the basic blinky, yet?

JW