cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to I fix STM32CubeProgrammer No STM32 Target Found after Programming Nucleo Pack MB1355C board?

dhillier
Associate II

I have an STM32WB55 Nucleo Pack and i thought i'd try out the BLE heartbeat monitor example on the MB1355C board, so i opened up the STM32CubeProgrammer, put the power selector to USB STL and could connect ok.

I Selected the hex file for the heartbeat monitor example and used the Automatic option to try to write it to the board. It said it finished writing to board N:1, connect board N:2 and hung. So i disconnected the board and plugged it back in and i noticed not much was happening, and i couldn't see the bluetooth device using my phone, so i tried to connect it back to the STM32CubeProgrammer and i noticed it would no longer connect.

If i open the cube programmer, and select "Firmware Upgrade" no device appears. However, if i click the button that says "Open in Update Mode" the board resets, device information appears and i can upgrade the firmware.

The board still mounts like a drive and i can still drag files into the drive which magically disappear after the board is reset.

Can anyone point out where i went wrong, and how do i fix it.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dhillier
Associate II

Ok, i got it.

If i set the ST-LINK configuration to:

• Mode: Normal
  • Reset Mode: Software Reset

Then, I can successfully connect if I:

• Press and hold the reset button on the board
  • Click the Connect button in the cube programmer
  • Release the reset button

However, i thought if i drag a hex file onto the drive the board creates, then it would load that hex file. This doesn't appear to be the case. I have to use the Cube Programmer.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
dhillier
Associate II

Ok, i got it.

If i set the ST-LINK configuration to:

• Mode: Normal
  • Reset Mode: Software Reset

Then, I can successfully connect if I:

• Press and hold the reset button on the board
  • Click the Connect button in the cube programmer
  • Release the reset button

However, i thought if i drag a hex file onto the drive the board creates, then it would load that hex file. This doesn't appear to be the case. I have to use the Cube Programmer.

Hi dhillier,

Have you solved your problem yet?

I have the same issue with my stm32wb55 nucleo board. try to connect it to cubeProrammer v2.0.0 and got "no stm32 target found". and also can't close the cubeProgrammer app.

I tried your method above but useless.

if you have solution, please help.

My solution above worked for me.

The other issue i had was the USB cable. I had one which worked fine for charging power banks but not for communication with the board. I would try another cable, and retry what i posted as the solution above.

I've the same problem. And the method suggested doesn't work.

RTrip
Associate
STM32Fan1
Associate

Hi

I experienced same issue with HeartRate project for STM32WB cube

This project use low power mode

After first flash, I guess the ST-LINK enter a race to get a grab on the MCU with the internal firmware (and loose...even if CONNECT UNDER RESET is used)

Solution from dhillier by pressing RESET, more or less change the startup timing and could work but I cannot reproduce

So I made a more "drastic" solution

Set NUCLEO in DFU mode

> Jumper between CN7 5 and 7 (Boot 0)

>Power supply from STM32WB USB (not ST link) > 5V sources form J2 change one row

Plug USB cable to STM32WB USB

connect with cube programmer with USB DFU

Erase most sectors (some are protected where FUS is located...)

Revert NUCLEO setting to initial (remvoe boot0 jumper and 5V source from ST LINK)

Then to avoid further issue

I deactivate LPM in project setting in app_conf.h

#define CFG_HW_RESET_BY_FW     1

#define CFG_DEBUGGER_SUPPORTED  1

after rebuild, I can flash, debug, re-flash with no further problem...

I hope this will help you

happy debugging !

Hello!

Thank you for your suggestions. After I programmed the the heart rate demo I was also unable to reflash the board "No STM32 target found!", but used the external 5V supply on CN7 and moved jumper JP1 "USB STL" (default) to JP1 "5V EXT". Then used the STM32CubeProgrammer and used the ST-Link to reflash (no DFU mode). Removed external supply and placed back the jumper to "USB STL".

Best regards

Natalia

a.gajdacs
Associate II

Simple: set mode to "Under Reset".

RAlve.1
Associate

Simple: Connect in Power Down mode and erase or program again.