cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get the USB product string set in my project to appear in the Windows Device Manager?

Rick V.
Associate II

Thanks to this forum, I have a USB Virtual Serial Port implemented. It is working however, the Windows Device Manager lists it as "USB Serial Device (COM10)". The manufacturer is listed as Microsoft. The code has "STM32 Virtual ComPort" as the product string and "STMicroelectronics" as the manufacturer. I've ensured the USBD_FS_ProductStrDescriptor method gets called to set the product string but yet Windows doesn't show the right information. Is there a logical reason for this? I need to be able to identify the device which I can do by the VID and PID but I'd rather have my programmed information in the name of the device.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

This is just how Windows works. Since the driver is provided by Microsoft, it says "Microsoft" in device manager. TL;DR.

Open "Bluetooth and other devices" or "Devices and printers". There it should show the actual manufacturer.

-- pa

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

This is just how Windows works. Since the driver is provided by Microsoft, it says "Microsoft" in device manager. TL;DR.

Open "Bluetooth and other devices" or "Devices and printers". There it should show the actual manufacturer.

-- pa