cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H753VIT6: Hardware design guide / minimal recommended connections?

TwelveSquared
Senior

Where is a hardware design guide / minimal recommended connections for STM32H753VIT6?

I am new to ST MCUs but ST's competitors generally have a chapter in the datasheet or an application note on this subject.

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3

They tend to have most of this stuff in the Data Sheets, with some specific migration guide as application notes.

The things are self clocking, the issues predominantly related to power supply pins (analogue, digital, internal regulation) and reset pins. Pull the BOOTx pins to the state you want processor to start in.

If you get the power/reset/boot stuff straight, they just run.

Definitely a lot less power sequencing nonsense than I've seen on ATMEL and MARVELL designs, where you need a book to figure out all the possible ways to make it fail.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
TwelveSquared
Senior

I've been through the datasheet and reference manual but no joy yet.

The clocking, power, reset, and boot stuff is the stuff I'm worried about!!! Especially the clocking.

For example, what are the trade-offs in using an external clock oscillator vs the internal HSI? I understand that the internal HSI saves up to 2 pins and reduces BOM count; then is there a reason not to take advantage of this? I am using USB_FS and Ethernet in my design; does one or both of these impose a requirement to use an external clock and if so at what frequency? (Asking because I've seen that requirement in the past, on other vendors' microcontrollers, seemingly always buried in a footnote on page 6000 of the manual, but explained in plain English in a hardware design guide for mere mortals.)

And yes, I agree: The power sequencing nonsense is the exact reason I don't use those other chips! There are enough ways to fail without that additional challenge.

Thank you for your input...

Oh, and nice username!

TDK
Guru

It's not a perfect answer, but you can look at the schematics on the STM32 Nucleo-144 boards to see what ST actually did on their boards, which may differ slightly from what's in their datasheets and application notes.

https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/nucleo-h743zi.html

Go to Resources -> Schematics.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".