cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Environment for using TouchGFX

APagl
Associate II

I have been developing an application on an STM32H7 (on a NUCLEO-H743ZI board), using STM32CubeMX and SystemWorkbench/SW4STM32 on a MacBook Pro. I've been using an 800x480 Newhaven Display capacitive touch display (I ported their EVE2 library as best as I could).

My questions:

1. Because, as I understand it, CubeMX cannot generated C++ code, I have written all my code in C. I think I understand that TouchGFX uses C++ code but also TouchGFX interacts with CubeMX. How does that all work?
  2. Is there a version of TouchGFX environment (designer, etc.) that runs happily in OS X?
  3. Does it work with the STM32H7 and/or the NUCLEO-H743ZI ?
  4. Is there a list of touchscreens that are compatible with TouchGFX?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Hi,

1. Correct, CubeMX generates C code for you, but TouchGFX (if selected) is C++ - Luckily, C and C++ can co-exist. CubeMX will ensure that IAR projects build "auto" and not just C, for instance, because TouchgFX is enabled.
  2. We used to have basic build environment support for OSX (gcc, arm-gcc), but don't anymore in our Makefiles - The designer won't run on Linux/OSX anyway so there may not be much point. If you want to try to run it in whatever virtualization app you have let me know.
  3. Currently no, CubeMX BLOCKS you from choosing TouchGFX for some MCUs - We the touchgfx team are trying to remedy this come december. Stay tuned.
  4. Anything is compatible with TouchGFX - It's your job as developer to implement the required interface that TouchGFX uses to propagate the touch coordinates from your display. TouchGFX is hardware agnostic in a sense.

Let me know if you have other questions!

/Martin

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Hi,

1. Correct, CubeMX generates C code for you, but TouchGFX (if selected) is C++ - Luckily, C and C++ can co-exist. CubeMX will ensure that IAR projects build "auto" and not just C, for instance, because TouchgFX is enabled.
  2. We used to have basic build environment support for OSX (gcc, arm-gcc), but don't anymore in our Makefiles - The designer won't run on Linux/OSX anyway so there may not be much point. If you want to try to run it in whatever virtualization app you have let me know.
  3. Currently no, CubeMX BLOCKS you from choosing TouchGFX for some MCUs - We the touchgfx team are trying to remedy this come december. Stay tuned.
  4. Anything is compatible with TouchGFX - It's your job as developer to implement the required interface that TouchGFX uses to propagate the touch coordinates from your display. TouchGFX is hardware agnostic in a sense.

Let me know if you have other questions!

/Martin