cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to make connection between SPBTLE-1s and Windows 10 with Serial port profile?

OBURE
Associate

Dear ST team

I bought the Bluetooth module SPBTLE-1S and I would like to implement something like SPP Serial Port Profile- connect it with my windows 10 computer via Bluetooth communication and open virtual comport.

On this site

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X00009XkeFpSAJ/bluenrg1-internal-mcu-and-spp

I found that BLE does not support SPP, but it should be possible to implement something similar. After I read this sentence

„With Bluetooth Low Energy, you can implement a proprietary proï¬�le that is similar to the old SPP, so that with your application you can just send and receive bytes over the air. The 'BLE Chat' example that you mentioned implements“

I have tried to programm it with BLE_Chat example, but without any success. I also tried BLE_Chat_Master_and_slave, but also without any success.

When I modified the code (inside CHAT_DeviceInit() function) with those lines:

ret = aci_gap_set_io_capability(IO_CAP_NO_INPUT_NO_OUTPUT);

ret = aci_gap_set_authentication_requirement(BONDING,

MITM_PROTECTION_NOT_REQUIRED, SC_IS_SUPPORTED,

KEYPRESS_IS_NOT_SUPPORTED, 7, 16, USE_FIXED_PIN_FOR_PAIRING, 123456,

STATIC_RANDOM_ADDR);

Set parameter:

HS_SPEED_XTAL=HS_SPEED_XTAL_32MHZ

Then I was able to connect on the module, but for my application I need to open COM port. I downloaded app to communicate with it but it was not via COM port.

Is there any way to communicate with BLE module through some protocol like SPP? Connect BLE module to PC via bluetooth and open COM port?

Thank You For any help.

Best Regards,

Ondrej Bures

1 REPLY 1
Winfred LU
ST Employee

No.

It is because that SPP (Serial Port Profile) is for Bluetooth classic, but SPBTLE-1s (BlueNRG-1) supports Bluetooth Low Energy radio only.

You might be interested in the HOGP (HID over GATT Profile) instead.

Please refer to the STSW-BLEPROFILES package:

https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/embedded-software/wireless-connectivity-software/stsw-bleprofiles.html