cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugger not working after upgrade to STM32CubeIDE 1.1.0

Mark Reds
Associate II

Hi,

after upgrading my STM32CubeIDE application to latest version 1.1.0 I'm unable to debug my project.

According to the log it seems that debugger is unable to identify my STM32F401RE anymore.

I tried with a new empty project and I encountered the same issue. Here following the output of the log:

STMicroelectronics ST-LINK GDB server. Version 5.3.2
Copyright (c) 2019, STMicroelectronics. All rights reserved.

Starting server with the following options:
        Persistent Mode            : Disabled
        Logging Level              : 1
        Listen Port Number         : 61234
        Status Refresh Delay       : 15s
        Verbose Mode               : Disabled
        SWD Debug                  : Enabled

Waiting for debugger connection...
Debugger connected
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        STM32CubeProgrammer v2.2.0                  
      -------------------------------------------------------------------

Log output file:   /tmp/STM32CubeProgrammer_7uowht.log
ST-LINK SN  : 50FF71067788545428432167
ST-LINK FW  : V2J34S7
Voltage     : 3.19V
SWD freq    : 4000 KHz
Connect mode: Under Reset
Reset mode  : Hardware reset
Cannot identify the device
Error: unknown or unsupported device (DevID = 0x0000)

Memory Programming ...
Opening and parsing file: ST-LINK_GDB_server_V9fWXA.srec
  File          : ST-LINK_GDB_server_V9fWXA.srec
  Size          : 7328 Bytes
  Address       : 0x08000000 

Erasing memory corresponding to segment 0:
Download in Progress:

File download complete
Time elapsed during download operation: 00:00:00.056

Verifying ...

Error: Data mismatch found at address  0x08000004 (byte = 0x55 instead of 0xB1)

Error: Download verification failed

Encountered Error when opening /Applications/STM32CubeIDE.app/Contents/Eclipse/plugins/com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.externaltools.cubeprogrammer.macos64_1.1.0.201910081157/tools/bin/STM32_Programmer_CLI
Error in STM32CubeProgrammer
Debugger connection lost.
Shutting down...

11 REPLIES 11

same here with STM32F405RGT6.

-- EDIT --

looking at the release note:

> ST-LINK GDB-server does not work properly with the macOS® version of STM32CubeIDE. The use of OpenOCD or J-Link is required.

-- EDIT SOLVED! --

installed openocd:

brew install openocd

then in IDE:

Debug Configurations -> Debug -> Debug Probe to ST-LINK (OpenOCD)

had also to enable sw reset:

Show generator options... -> Reset Mode -> Software system reset

looks everything is now working as expected!

Mark Reds
Associate II

It works now, following the suggestion of Massimiliano. Thank you.

mmalex
Associate II

thankyou for this solution! I would not recommend upgrading from 1.0.1 to 1.1 for mac users - it's been a frustrating evening!

• first, the ide hangs when you import your old projects from 1.0.1. This is mentioned in the release notes, but no workaround. so I rebuilt my project by hand
  • then, it fails to flash the board when you hit debug...

so I reinstalled STM32CubeIDE fresh. My mac refused to open the .app saying it was 'damaged, move to trash?'. The fix was (after googling) to run sudo xattr -cr /Applications/STM32CubeIDE.app and this allowed the freshly installed IDE to start

• but we still have the flash problem... back to google, and we find this answer! thanks to this answer above there is a workaround!

I have a working board again, but I think these issues make the experience of upgrading or installing 1.1 a bit of a pain. I'm mostly writing this in case anyone experiences any of those same issues.

Looking forward to the next patch of the ide. thanks for the awesome platform, despite its mac-y release issues.

fred bar
Senior

Incredible they let the product out with such problems. Not professional at all.

Mark Reds
Associate II

I think STM32CubeIDE is a great "all-in-one" tool to start developing your application upon the STM32 platform, but it is still "too young" and need to grow its stability. I hope this will happen in the next releases.

Another bug I found is this version is that seems it is unable to recognise my sources directory is under SVN versioning so the "Team" submenu in the project popup doesn't show anymore all SVN-related commands. For now I will use the command line to commit my changes.

fred bar
Senior

The tools are based on very much mature tools and standards. What happened on this release looks like a huge lack of quality testing. Might be planned and intentional, don't know, i certainly do not intend that they lack competence. All they did needs pretty good stack of capabilities.

Most problems are regressions, not youngness problems. Releasing with such a list of known problems and without clearly telling users before updating is very bad practice.

STM32CubeIDE is "Eclipse IDE", and the Cube is built as a plugin inside the Eclipse IDE, this last one is a mature tool (even I don't like it very much, I always preferred Netbeans, but this is another story...) not the Cube, but this is my personal experience only. Anyway STM32CubeIDE should be tested a bit deeper before published as a new update.

So it looks like we agree. (and also on he netbeans part.. microchip made a better move on that, even if netbeans's C editor is a bit lacking)

BDurs
Associate II

I experience the same problem. I use Windows 10.

Debug via built-in to the Discovery board ST-LINK stopped working. Advices on the forum didn't help. I press "Debug" and nothing happends, literally nothing - no message (even the shortest one), no log, no perspective change, nothing. Until the problem is solved I go back to 1.0.2. I hope it will help.