cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi core debugging

hansd56
Senior II

Could anybody help me how to do multi core debugging with STM32CubeIDE 1.1.0?

9 REPLIES 9
Markus GIRDLAND
ST Employee

I'm working on a document to cover this topic in a bit more detail but it's not done yet. What are you having trouble with?

hansd56
Senior II

Thanks for your reply. I just can't download the two images. I can one by one. But then the other fails.

Hi Markus,
It would be great if you could give me a hint on how to set up the debugger. I used CubeMX to create a test project for STM32H745I-Disco. CubeIDE is very different from how System Workbench handled it.
Regards,
Hans

How did you set up the debug configuration? In the "Startup" tab of the two sub-projects you need to make sure to click "Add..." to set up which one(s) you wish to load to the target.

hansd56
Senior II

I have tried this too in various configurations. I just needs some documentation to be useful. Did True Studio have a similar setup. Is the old documentation available?

No, we didn't have it in TrueSTUDIO. All the "multi-core" device support was added just now in 1.1.0 (H7/L5/MP1) and they made a specific new feature for flashing (the Startup tab). The documentation is being made right now but MP1 and L5 has gotten prioritized and will most likely be release first.

But the basics is this, I will only mention a setting if it differs from the default.

CM7 - Debug configuration:

Debugger

Reset behaviour: Connect under reset

Tick Halt all cores

Tick Enable shared ST-LINK

Startup Tab

Add the other project

Untick Load Symbols

CM4 - Debug configuration:

Debugger

Add like +10 or something to the GDBserver (for example 61244)

Reset behaviour: None

Tick Enable shared ST-LINK

Startup Tab

Edit the CM4 project

Untick Download

Then you start to debug the CM7 and after that you launch a second debug session (without terminating CM7) with the CM4.

Thanks for your reply. It works some sort off. CM4 runs off after loading. How can you ever start both cores at the same time? They are supposed to go through a start up sequence. Cube only permits option 'Both CPU's start at once'. I can only say many nice products but nothing really finished.

hI @Markus GIRDLAND​ : I assume your document eventually became AN5361

I used that as a starting point, however the M4 often crashes whenever I try to debug it. There have been several other posts about the same issue, but none with a proper answer/solution. Do you know how to how to if a fix/recommended workflow is coming?

I posted a simple blinky to github: https://github.com/AnielShri/H745_Nucleo

Yes, that's the document I was working on at the time.

I believe this should be fixed in the next version. It has a lot of quality of life and bug fixes for dual core debugging.

Try that version (should be out in a day or two) and see if it fixes anything, if not then let me know and we'll take a closer look!