STM32 Blue Pill boot jumper not working

GBamb.216
Associate II

Hello everyone!

Problem 1:

I bought 8 STM32 Blue Pill cards.

I can't program these cards.

The problem occurs on all boards.

When I set the BOOT jumper 0 to 1 and press the reset button the LED connected to the PC13 pin always flashes.

I have already programmed these cards and I have always programmed using an FTDI using TX on the PIN PA10 and RX on the PIN PA9.

I have the ST LINK V2 module and I can program the card.

I added the RST wire because boot 0 does not work.

I usually use the Arduino IDE environment and programming with the ST LINK V2 module the USART PA9/PA10 serial are not activated.

I use the tab support for the Arduino environment:

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/Arduino_STM32

I tried to connect the FTDI module to the serial port of the card and it does not receive any data.

I programmed the card with ST LINK V2 and FTDI to read values from the serial port but it does not work.

Is there a way to set the BOOT 0 jumper to programming mode?

The Blink always works for me and there is no way to block the execution of the program with BOOT 0 to 1.

Problem 2:

I have updated the firmware of the ST LINK module 

Name Firmware : V2J35S7

I downloaded it from the ST website

The Arduino build environment tells me that it is to be updated.

Is there a newer firmware? 

Or is it the latest version?

Has anyone had the same problem on THE STM32 Blue Pill cards?

Any answer is accepted !

I really need it :(

15 REPLIES 15

Are you sure these things aren't counterfeit or defective? You should perhaps work with the vendor, get a schematic, and probe the circuit.

Check the level on the BOOT0 pin, make sure BOOT1=LOW, BOOT0=HIGH to get into System ROM

Sounds like Arduino build environment isn't checking the firmware properly, or is broken. The firmware you indicated is most current. Support by third-part tools may be behind. If it uses OpenOCD, make sure you have an up to date version of that.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
GBamb.216
Associate II

The Arduino environment does not center with the problem.

The generic cardha that adopts the MCU STM32F103C8T6 microcontroller

has the boot pin 0 that doesn't work.

Set to the Boot pin 0 from 0 to 1 and pressing the reset button the led connected on the PC13 pin always works.

It seems that BOOT pins are disabled.

I was asking if there is a firmware that can be loaded into internal memory to enable the boot pin 0.

Or is it a hardware circuit? 

That is the BOOT 0 pin if it doesn't go is to be thrown away the MCU ?

I do not use OpenOCD.

But if there is any software that can reset the microcontroller to factory settings it would be great.

That is, to make the BOOT0 pin work so that you can program the MCU in FDTI.

Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

Many bluepill boards are know ti have a USB pull up resistor with a value far off. If you try DFU, this could be the reason. Replace the USB DP pull up with the right value.

The System Boot Loader is in ROM/OTP so it can't be erased, replaced or reset. From the boot loader it should be able to erase the user application in Flash.

I'm not sure why BOOT0 being HIGH wouldn't start the loader for you, so you will need to look for physical reasons, like the chip is damaged, or the connectivity is broken. Check voltage levels at pins.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Are you talking about the USB pins of the microcontroller?

I don't use native USB.

I program with the PINS PA9 and PA10 USART) with the FTDI module.

Do you think that might be the problem?

The problem occurred on all 8 cards bought by the same seller.

So it's not a software problem?

I try to control the voltage on the BOOT 0 pin!

EDe.1
Associate

0690X00000BvsseQAB.jpgSolution: I had this problem. R3, listed as 100k. Has 104 printed on it. It was suggested to remove this resistor and replace it with a jumper/short. This worked on my boards. I have 6 boards with this issue. R3 is hooked in series between the MCU and the boot0 header pins. You can see the schematics half way down this page... freeelectron.ro/bare-metal-stm32-led-blink

oeliks
Senior

Well 104 is 100k​ its good enough. As for "wrong" value of usb pullup - if its not 1,5k its probabbly pulled to 5+ instead of 3+ (some bluepills are) so be carefull and check voltage of pullup.

AVarg.11
Associate

Same problem here. I weldered a short in R3 but problem persists. Only blinking led even changing the jumper.

May be a problem in boot0 software?