cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stm32f103c6 is connected to MCP2515 standalone CAN via SPI. Max clock mentioned is 10 MHz, can I use it with higher clock?

manoj_sheoran
Associate

I am using stm32f103c6 micro controller where an external MCP2515 ( standalone CAN) is connected through SPI bus. I am having a single threaded code which is scheduled in a loop with very less time(125 usec, I have other functionality covered in it). But the SPI communication consume huge time for data transfer between CAN chip. It's mentioned in MCP2515 data sheet that Max operating clock for SPI is 10 MHz( which is not enough for me). So I just tried higher frequency (36 MHz) it's working for me, there is no problem with data integrity and speed also improved.

But I am not sure whether it's safe to use with higher frequency than provided in data sheet( as integrity of data matters very much for me). Will there be any affect due to this change( by change in any physical attributes such as temperature)

Thanks in advance!!

3 REPLIES 3
JoniS
Senior

Maximum rated by microchip is something they can guarantee it does work properly., anything beyond that is like asking for a trouble.

While it might work in your lab environment, can you quarantee it works in other environments aswell?

Perhaps you need to consider something with native CAN support?

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
SaidErsoy
Associate II

Hi, I am tring to work with mcp2515 but i could not manage to send CAN. Can you share the code that you are using?