cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremly strange bugs (not only one) in actual CubeMx Version

Osto
Senior

Dear ST,

I had an old project from 2017 with Cube and Keil V5 (its not old for Embedded projects). I wanted to change some things but the result was ****. I had freeRTOS configured but this was disabled,.... big troubles. I had already another thread about this bug. Then I decide to retype both projects with STM32F407VGT6 (STM32F407-Discovery) again and spend more than 8 hours to get both project in the same config as 2 years ago. The result was another lot of bugs (too much for so short time between last changes and now) which I explain:

1.) I used Keil V5 and generate the project. Then I click on open project, Keil starts, Then the pack manager opens and asked for update the packs. I dont need the new packs but I update them anyhow. Keil ask for update pack (which was updated through pack manager). I click to reload the pack then I got message that the device is not existent. The Message was "Error: Device not found, Device: ??Device??, Vendor: STMicroelectronis. Please update your deice selection". Then I went to "Options for Target ***" and there is no CPU selected. under Vendor, Device and Toolset I see only "". Then I select the STM32F407VG and then I can compile the project. This happens every time CubeMX generates the project.

This is very strange behavior but there is a workaround. The project could be compiled and running with few changes. I used this projects under git version control. Then I commit and pushed the project to the bare repository, go to another workstation, pulled the project from bare repository to have the same state as on the first workstation. You should know that git updates the time stamp of the files to the time of pull, not to the time of last change when you pull a project.

2.) I loaded on second workstation the project. changed minor things and tried to generate. I got the message "Project name may not be empty". But I didnt change the Project name. I checked the project information but the project name was empty, Compiler was changed from Keil to EWARM, Copy all necessary file was changed to copy all used libraries,....... The project manager information was garbage.

3.) Then I got message that some IP's are configured wrong for example CRC, RNG. But both of them have no configuration!!!???? I can only select them. Then I tried again to generate and there was no error anymore (even when I changed nothing).

4.) Then I loaded the project and compile it (have to set again the CPU), load it into device and start the device. The device is not working anymore. Same Programm and same configuration but after new generation the system was not working.

5.) I went back to the first workstation and load the same project which I pushed to git, modify, generate (no error this time) then start keil, change the CPU and compile. Everything was compiled fine.

6.) I tried to download to the flash (The hardware is STM32F4-Discovery) it says cannot find ULINK but I had configured ST-Link before. Ok. No Problem. I wen to project configuration and change it from ULINK to ST-LINK then click OK and tried again to flash the device. I got failure that there is no Device found.

7.) I went again to project settings and look at the configuration. Everything is OK but why its not working? Then I pressed OK instead of cancel (I didnt change anything). then tried again to download to flash then it was WORKING!!!

I start the device and everything is OK!!!!!

ST: You have to publish software which is working. you cost me ~3000 EUR because of not working software. When I compare the todays CubeMX and the first version (~2010 or so), there is a huge difference between them but the quality of the software is now extremly low!!! In Embedded section you have to warranty the working system for at lease 5 years (normally up to 20 years) but your system is not working even after 2 years!!!!!!

In Europe we have a law of liability. This law help us to get the damage back which you made because of your buggy software even when the software is for free. Your End user agreements dont work because you cannot disable law by your rules.

Get you software running correct else we have to open a lawsuit against you.

4 REPLIES 4
Houda GHABRI
ST Employee

Hello Osto,

We are deeply sorry for this annoyance.

Can you give me please more details about your scenario to understand the source of this problem?

1- Initial and final versions of MX

2- Initial and final versions of the Keil device pack

3- If possible original ioc and migrated ioc

4- Has the keil version changed during the test?

Best regards,

Houda

Osto
Senior

Dear Houda,

Thanks for your fast answer.

1- Initial Version ist the Version of middle of 2018. The actual version is from now.

2- Initial from beginn of 2018 and firstly tested also from that time but now it is from 2 days ago.

3- Yes, but I dont want to post my project information to public. Please send me an email to my email address registered on st website then I will send you all needed information and project copy to your email address.

4- No, Keil version is 5.24 before and now.

Thanks a lot,

M. Ostovary

Houda GHABRI
ST Employee

Hi osto,

Address mail sent via private message.

please feel free to contact me for furthers details.

Regards,

Houda

Ozone
Lead

Sorry, but if you had exercised you due diligence, you would have noticed most of this problems long before, as it constantly happens to other users.