cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Designer seems to override CanvasBufferSize despite the designed option unchecked

SBACO
Associate III

As described in your help center, I configure my canvasBuffer in my main.cpp. As I have a quite important requirement, I put it in a specific section of my internal RAM memory.

However, the designer seems to override this in all my viewBase files with a 3600 buffer size, and not in my reserved section anymore of course, which is a problem.

In the designer, when a screen is selected, on the right, there is an option to overwrite the canvasBuffer (quite new option ? I do not really remember it). However, those option are unchecked on all screens, and still defined in the viewBase files.

Is there any way to avoid that and keep using my dedicated memory located region for it ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Okay, so i've just gotten confirmation that this is not just an oversight on yours or my part =) There is no option to not generate the allocation and setup of the canvasbuffer (per screen).

Your best best right now would be to configure things in user code space (as you did in main.cpp) and not use the designer to add your canvas widget so that you may place the buffer manually.'

I've raised a ticket with the designer team.

/Martin

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Hi @SBACO​,

It's a new option in 4.10.0 but it's quite old. 4.12.3 is coming out next week i think, but nothing has changed there. The option is to override the default canvas buffer size (which has changed to 12000). But i guess we're lacking the option to let the developer define it so it can be placed.

/Martin

SBACO
Associate III

So there is no solution for me here ? Except not using the designer at all which does not even sounds like an idea.

I suppose the buffer is taken in the heap/stack size ? I search for a long time, but all documentations I found tells you to define it in your main, which is just ram consuming considering it will never be used. I am not sure why it is now managed by the designer, but yes you're right, letting the developper being able to overwrite that seems mandatory. 3600B or 12K is really not nothing in many ICs...

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Let me talk to the designer boys!

/Martin

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Okay, so i've just gotten confirmation that this is not just an oversight on yours or my part =) There is no option to not generate the allocation and setup of the canvasbuffer (per screen).

Your best best right now would be to configure things in user code space (as you did in main.cpp) and not use the designer to add your canvas widget so that you may place the buffer manually.'

I've raised a ticket with the designer team.

/Martin

SBACO
Associate III

Thanks for looking into it. I do think that overridden unchecked on the right panel of the designer, should not define the Canvas at all.

As the designer does not allow you to put 0 in the buffer size, I am still loosing 3600 bytes of ram memory.

Anyway, hopefully, this will be corrected or modified in the next version.

regards

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Right, we just talked about that too. The next version is already done, so i'm affraid not! :( But i'm sure we'll prioritize it for a patch release. Now that CubeMX 5.4 will unlock the touchgfx version we're free to release when we want to.

/Martin