cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDCard SDIO 4Bit with DMA using FatFs Q1: How to check if DMA is working? Q1: How to check if 4Bit Mode is set correctly?

AWilk
Associate

Hi Community,

I use a STM32F405 to access a uSDCard.

Software: CubeMX V5.3 and SW4STM32 (Eclipse Neon.3 Release (4.6.3))

The good news, I can communicate with the SDCard (create files, write content and delete files. So far so good, but now the questions:

Q1: How to check if DMA is working?

Where can I see/check that I actually use the DMA which is added in CubeMX in the SDIO section?

0690X000009kCu9QAE.png

Because if I remove the two DMA lines for RX and TX and press the "GENERATE CODE" button again, after re-compiling my unchanged user-code is still working perfectly. I thought there should be a problem now...

Of course I checked the www for information and I found a tutorial on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NbBem8U80Y) where the guy changes the content of the library functions BSP_SD_ReadBlocks_DMA() and BSP_SD_WriteBlocks_DMA() from bsp_driver_sd.c and he changes the content of SD_read() and SD_write() from sd_diskio.c to use the DMA.

Are these steps still necessary? (I haven`t changed my code so far!)

Regarding this steps I thought that the BSP_SD_ReadBlocks_DMA() and BSP_SD_WriteBlocks_DMA functions should be used somewhere in the f_write() or f_read() functions (out of the Middleware ff.c) that I use in my user-code too.

When I get through all the library-code of e.g. f_write() I couldn`t find one "DMA" function. That is why I`m wondering if I use the DMA after the code-changes at all.

Hopefully someone could explain the connection of f_write with "DMA" functions or ff.c with sd_diskio.c to me. I don`t get it unfortunately...

Q2: How to check if 4Bit Mode is set correctly?

After generating the library functions with CubeMX I found the first hint in the MX_SDIO_SD_Init() function:

hsd.Init.BusWide = SDIO_BUS_WIDE_1B;

I think this sets the bus to 1B for the very first initialize/communication?

After calling the BSP_SD_Init() to initialize my SDCard I see in the library-code that a wide operation is enabled.

/* Enable wide operation */

if (HAL_SD_ConfigWideBusOperation(&hsd, SDIO_BUS_WIDE_4B) != HAL_OK)

{

sd_state = MSD_ERROR;

}

Is this the final step to set the 4Bit SDIO data transfer or do I need something else?

I hope I could describe my issues in a proper way.

I`m looking for your answers.

All the best

Alexander

4 REPLIES 4
AWilk
Associate

To whom it may concern:

regarding Q2:

Thanks to an oscillocope I can tell you "yes". BSP_SD_Init() sets the BUS to 4 wire mode which can be seen on the osci creen (if you read or write data of course). If you manipulate the BSP_SD_Init() and set it to SDIO_BUS_WIDE_1B instead of SDIO_BUS_WIDE_4B, data communication is only available on the SDIO_D0 pin.

regarding Q1:

still looking for an answer...

Alex

manurp
Associate II

Hi AWilk, have you found an answer to your first question? I was thinking the same thing after watching the video you refered to.

Drill into the DISKIO layer, and see what functions it is calling, the DMA ones, or not.

Check if you have interrupt handlers in stm32f4xx_it.c, etc.

Look at a .MAP file to see what functions are linked/bound rather than discarded.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
manurp
Associate II

Thank you Clive,

Isn't SDIO automatically linked with DMA when configuring it with STM32CubeMX?