cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPV1040T DC-DC boost converter circuit recommended by the eDesignSuite under solar battery charger is not working...!!

Rambo_VK
Associate II

For the project I am doing, I have to make a solar charging circuit. So, I chose SPV1040T as a DC-DC boost converter. For this feature, I used eDesignSuite to create a solar charging circuit. The circuit should convert the 3v from the solar panel into 4.2v. After receiving the PCB board, I found that the circuit is not working. I have been trying to figure out what went wrong for last one week. But I couldn't. Could anyone please explain how SPV1040T works exactly?. It may help to figure out what went wrong in my PCB board. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rambo_VK
Associate II

Hello guys,

I found out what went wrong in the design and why SPV1040T can't do the solar charging properly.. Actually in the data sheet of SPV1040T, It was mentioned as the "High efficiency solar battery charger". So, I thought SPV1040T can alone do both solar energy harvesting and the battery charging part as well. But It can't. Now I found out that the SPV1040T can only do the solar energy harvesting work and I have to add another circuit using L6924D just to do the battery charging part. I found this solution in the STEVAL-ISV012V1 evaluation board datasheet. It's a STMicroelectronics evaluation board for lithium-ion solar battery charger. I bought it and test it. It works perfect. It gives 4.1/4.2V as an output which is enough to charge the 3.7V rechargeable battery. For more info please check STEVAL-ISV012V1 datasheet. Thanks

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Patrizia BELLITTO
ST Employee

​Hello,

I forwarded your question to the application engineer.

Best regards,

Patrizia

harald
Associate III

We are about to design a SPV1040 design as well but can't get the EDesignSuite to work. How did you do it?

​Hello,

why couldn't you access eDesignSuite? Did it give you some error?

If you have all the specs of the solar panel, you can do it in the edesignsuite. Those parameters are Vmpp, Impp,Voc,Isc. If you enter the values of these parameters as well as the output you want (step-up voltage with current ratings), It will do the rest.

harald
Associate III

I tried to use eDesign but didn't get it to start. There were some issues with Flash Player. Now it works and I can use eDesign. Regards Harald

Rambo_VK
Associate II

Hello guys,

I found out what went wrong in the design and why SPV1040T can't do the solar charging properly.. Actually in the data sheet of SPV1040T, It was mentioned as the "High efficiency solar battery charger". So, I thought SPV1040T can alone do both solar energy harvesting and the battery charging part as well. But It can't. Now I found out that the SPV1040T can only do the solar energy harvesting work and I have to add another circuit using L6924D just to do the battery charging part. I found this solution in the STEVAL-ISV012V1 evaluation board datasheet. It's a STMicroelectronics evaluation board for lithium-ion solar battery charger. I bought it and test it. It works perfect. It gives 4.1/4.2V as an output which is enough to charge the 3.7V rechargeable battery. For more info please check STEVAL-ISV012V1 datasheet. Thanks

Great to hear 🙂