cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I connect an L6206 to an MCU so that it can tell the MCU when there is overcurrent?

MAkke
Associate III

I'm designing a board with an STM32F MCU and a PowerSO36 L6206 and I would like to use overcurrent as a feature: the motors connected to the board will be used to move across an axis and the occurance of overcurrent means the motor has reached the beginning of its axis, which is useful information for encoder feedback.

It would be best if the detection of overcurrent on the L6206 would pull an interrupt pin on the STM32F MCU to high (or low). I don't know how to achieve this, since the only outputs visible on the datasheet are the ones for the motors. SenseA and SenseB are connected to ground in the typical application and for both pins it is mentioned that it can be connected to a "sensing resistor" but the datasheet fails to show how.

The x-nucleo-ihm04a1 uses a strange circuit containing two 0 ohm resistors and a capacitor to connect SenseA and SenseB to the pins of the MCU and it doesn't make any sense (A nor B) to me.

https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/user_manual/group0/47/3a/5c/d6/f0/fa/4a/31/DM00215639/files/DM00215639.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00215639.pdf

2 REPLIES 2
MAkke
Associate III

I noticed the SenseA and SenseB pins are connected to ADC4 and ADC6 on the MCU. But that doesn't explain why both pins are shorted to ground with a 0-Ohm resistor and why they have a parallel 0-Ohm resistor going to the ADCs. How does any current flow to the ADCs if the Sense Pins are shorted to ground? Does the capacitor perhaps play a role in this? What am I missing?

Hey @MAkke​, I'm facing the same interrogation. My assumption is that if one wanted to measure current, they'd have to unsolder the 0ohm resistors, and solder and solder the components for the r-c filter. Did you end up making it work?