cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F769AI: DCMI Ycbcr video input -> JPEG encoding feasible?

NDH
Associate

So the STM32F769AI caught my attention since it seems to meet most of the requirements for my project. Now after doing some research into how the STM32 functions/operates, i would like to get some feedback on if my application would be feasible on the STM32F769AI.

My goals is to receive data from a camera module, encode it into JPEG and stream the encoded data over wif using an external wifi module. I want to interface a camera module (Boson flir) which has the possibilty to spit out data in YCbCr, pixel clock of 27Mhz, using the DCMI capability. I have seen some examples which use RGB images as input and convert them into YCbCr to encode them into JPEG. Would it be possible to skip the RGB->YCbCr conversion since i am already receiving data in this format, and store it directly into mcu blocks to save calculation time? Im guessing this would probably require me to store a whole frame of input data first into some external ram, then run the whole frame through the codec?

Also, would you reckon the STM32 would be fast enough to be able to capture the input data, encode the data into JPEG at 640x480 30hz and send it over to an external wifi module?

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
NDH
Associate

In this doc (page 31), hardware encoding is specified to take 4ms and the RGB to YCbCr conversion 103 ms. Am I right to say that, based on this information, I could implement jpeg hardware encoding using YCbCr as input and skipping the conversion step?

Hoping to get some thoughts/feedback on this concept!