cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F7 Timer Event Generation Register Wrong address?

mcu person
Associate II

Hello I'm using a STM32F769 discovery board. I was trying to use timer2channel2 to trigger the ADC conversion. I am setting registers manually and wanted to turn on event generation on channel 2 match.

TIM2->EGR |= TIM_EGR_CC2G_Msk;

However when I ran the code it didn't work. I opened the debugger and discovered when I run that particular line of Code it is actually setting the same bit in the status register (TIm2->SR) has anyone else seen this problem? Is there any work around, or am I just missing something

heres my code for reference

void init_timer2(void)
{
    //1. Clock
    RCC->APB1ENR |= RCC_APB1ENR_TIM2EN_Msk;

TIM2->PSC = 1600 -1;
    TIM2->ARR = 10000;
    TIM2->CNT = 0;
    TIM2->CCR2 = 1000;

//now set up trigger, we are basically using compare mode
    TIM2->EGR |= TIM_EGR_CC2G_Msk
              |  TIM_EGR_UG_Msk; //this doesn't work whenever you write to EGR it goes to SR register

TIM2->CCMR1 |= (0x01 << TIM_CCMR1_OC2M_Pos)//sets pin high on compare match
                |  (0x01 << TIM_CCMR1_OC2PE_Pos);//enable preload register?

TIM2->CCER |= TIM_CCER_CC2E_Msk;

//start timer
    TIM2->CR1 |= TIM_CR1_CEN_Msk;
}

2 REPLIES 2

I don't quite understand what do you want to accomplish.

Setting bits in EGR register causes the respective internal signal to get active; one of the consequence of which is that respective SR bit gets set. Btw. you don't need to RMW the EGR register, simply write to it if you need to - which I doubt you need. Although you may want to set EGR.UG, as that's the way how the value you wrote into PSC gets used immediately after the timer starts - otherwise the first timer period would run at the reset setting of PSC=0.

Setting CCMRx.OCxM to 0b001 i.e. active-on-match means, that at the first time CNT matches CCRx, the respective output gets active and then it remains so indefinitely. It's maybe not what you want; you probably want one of the PWM modes.

Re-read the timer chapter. I know it's not written very comprehensibly but after several readings and several experiments things usually start to make sense.

JW

mcu person
Associate II

Hey JW,

Thanks for your response, it clears up a lot. From the reference manual I was thinking mode 0001 "set active on match" would generate a pulse, not a one time state change. I've switched to PWM mode and I'm getting periodic behavior like I wanted.

As for the EGR, I was thinking it enabled flag generation. I used to do a lot of atmel programming, where you have to set bits to enable flags/interrupts, so I thought that this was the same. I guess the flag is always generated as long as the timer is on. Now I see the EGR is for immediate one time flag generation.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.