cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to power the board without using the USB-C ?

Spaced Cowboy
Associate III

On the STM32MP157-DK1 schematic there is a note to say "WARNING - do not supply 3V3,5V from Arduino shield", even though it looks as though pin 5 on CN16 is electrically connected to 5V_VIN via a 0R resistor.

It's going to be very inconvenient to use the USB-C connector from within an enclosure , so I was wondering if that was just because the board wants more power than a single pin can provide ? Or if there's another reason.

There is no such note on the GPIO Expansion header (where pins 2,4 are connected to 5V_IN) - is this because there are 2 pins to share the load, or should I not power the board from the GPIO expansion header either ?

2 REPLIES 2
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hello,

Discovery board are for evaluation purposes. You are free to make modifications if you feel confident on HW side.

Note: if you power the board outside the Type-C connector, you will have a wrong detection of USB Type-C CC1/CC2 lines, and the board will probably stop the boot sequence.

You could probably fake that detection by providing relevant pull-up from 5V supply (see USB Type-C standard) or by modifying the SW.

See also https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/Getting_started/STM32MP1_boards/STM32MP157C-DK2/Let%27s_start/Populate_the_target_and_boot_the_image

0690X000009juBLQAY.jpg

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
DYenEmbedded
Associate III

My coworker provided 2 fip-*.bin that bypass the check for USB-C power so that STM32MP157F-DK2 can be powered from our custom connector board. So the answer is yes, the board was powered without USB-C he said. I'm not sure if the fip*.bin should be put into fip-a or fip-b partition, but will try fip-a soon. Any hints appreciated.