cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insane User Interface repeatedly asks whether to download new files, then fails

In CubeMX view, I selected MX Data Refresh - or was that MX Check for Updates ?

What is the difference anyway? User certainly can't tell.

Please don't explain it to me:

Fix the GUI so it does not need explanation.

That's the purpose of a GUI!

Then I got hundreds of sequential questions asking whether I wanted to download new version of a document, 99% of which I don't care and don't want clogging my PC.

How about a sane UI with an organized list of documents and check-boxes?

You know, like any professional GUI would be done?

0690X00000ARZ78QAH.png

Of course, next the download failed as usual.

0690X00000ARZ7DQAX.png

Really now! This is extremely tedious and unhelpful!!

Thanks,

Best Regards, Dave

PS: Are you trying to torture your customers??

6 REPLIES 6

Hello @Dave Nadler​ 

Thanks for the feedback,

I did the same scenario and had no issue, it can be a network problem. You can find the documents downloaded under repository.

Best regards,

Nesrine

@Nesrine.JLASSI​ - We have more than adequate network bandwidth here. The above problems are not network problems; these are problems with your GUI design and your IDE. Please confirm you have filed a ticket on this,

Thanks,

Best Regards, Dave

I think there is a general robustness issue where slight variations in operating environment are poorly managed.

There should be more expansive reporting in the error message, or option, so the exact error can be determined, ie where it was trying to pull the file from, exactly, and where it was trying to put it. If it doesn't have rights to the directory, or the directory is not present, be specific about that.

This type of overly general reporting is a nightmare to trouble shoot with a customer on a phone. ST needs to collectively do better with the quality and usability of their software.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Hi @Dave Nadler​ 

Thanks for the feedback,

Will be fixed in next cubeMX version.

Regards,

Nesrine

@Nesrine.JLASSI​ - An ideal way of managing local documents would be just like Eclipse IDE "Install New Software": A tree of expandable/checkable options. You can try this in CubeIDE.

Would you be so kind as to add this info to the ticket?

Thanks,

Best Regards, Dave

IMHO a good UI design for updating components and resources can be borrowed from the Silicon Labs' Eclipse (whatever is it's name).

-- pa