cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L1X: what is the difference between 2V8 and 1V8 mode

PSimo
Associate

To use the VL53L1X with a 3V3 supply, I will have to select 2V8 mode.

The default mode is 1V8 mode. The selection wil be done in 1V8 mode. Apperently I2C will function correct in 1V8 mode with a 3V3 supply.

What is the difference between 1V8 and 2V8 mode?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

​The I2C data is 'clocked' when the clock line goes from high to low. That mode setting changes where the line is between high and low. The ideal setting would be halfway between your 'high' and zero. So either 1.4 or .9V. Most I2C lines travel between the full range of 2.8V down to 0, so we argue a lot about if this setting is useful.

Obviously the I2C works in either setting - or you couldn't change the settings, but picking the right one will perhaps save you from be susceptible to random noise glitches.

If you are having noise issues on your I2C, it's definitely something to try.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

​The I2C data is 'clocked' when the clock line goes from high to low. That mode setting changes where the line is between high and low. The ideal setting would be halfway between your 'high' and zero. So either 1.4 or .9V. Most I2C lines travel between the full range of 2.8V down to 0, so we argue a lot about if this setting is useful.

Obviously the I2C works in either setting - or you couldn't change the settings, but picking the right one will perhaps save you from be susceptible to random noise glitches.

If you are having noise issues on your I2C, it's definitely something to try.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.