cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General question about operation and asset building.

LalalandAudio
Associate II

I am just starting out with GFX and have a few questions if anyone has the time to help me out a bit.

1. Asset creation , I see I can make custom slider for example , and custom containers but it seems that this is all project specific , is it possible to make a custom container and have access to it at all times or even accumulate "assets" or custom containers ?
  2. Do I need to know programming to do anything more then the basics, or am i just not seeing the possibilities with the available widgets ?
  3. I downloaded the graph application on the forum , cannot test it yet but how would I go about using such a thing in an already made project , I can open it but I cannot import it into an existing project.
  4. How would I go about making a meter like this , taken from the GFX site, could I do this with the box progress ? I could imagine so but how to do the peak portion of the meter,and set the ballistics ? Maybe I really need programming to be able to do what I want?
  5. 0690X00000ARGbxQAH.jpg

6.Are there any additional widgets I can find somewhere ? Like meters and , scopes , waveform displays ?

7.If I do work on the code , can I open it , Run, Simulate in the gfx Designer or does all extra code only run on the STm?

8.Do I have to code to use mixins ?

9.Can I define a touch area , say I have a picture of a knob and I want it to react like a knob ?

I am sorry if this is all very obvious , just beginning , thanks for your time.

Yes, I am reading the knowledge base but is there a manual somewhere ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Hi @LalalandAudio​,

Briefly:

1) No

2) Yes. Use the designer to create the basic layout, interaction and animation configuration of your application. Then you'll write all your gui logic by hand in the specialized classes in gui/ (e.g. MyView will inherit from MyViewBase, generated by the designer). A scenario:

• You receive a signal in a second task that you send via message queue to the GUI Task
  • You evaluate that signal and forward the message to the active presenter
  • The presenter will now tell its view to update the new temperature to show on the gauge that was added through the designer

3) Check how the class is used in the screen definition code files (gui/) - Just copy the class definition source file and include it in your own specialized view

4) Yes you could do that with the box progress. But, yea, you won't get far without being able to write some code.

6) You only have the widgets available from the designer for now - Some things, like waveform displays, aren't widgets but more application specific things. You can do a waveform display using a Graph, and you'd have to do some coding to make it work the way you want.

7) You can run any application in the simulator - Press "run simulator" from the designer to run an application compiled with gcc. Or open the visual studio project in simulator/msvs. Let me know if you're having issues.

😎 Some mixins are configurable from the designer (Like Draggable). They can be used manually in code as well.

9) Yes you can.

Don't apologize. I hope this answers your questions. I know some answers are brief, but i'd prefer if we dove into those individually if you say we should. The manual is more or less the knowledge based on touchgfx.zendesk.com, for now, until we can migrate to the ST documentation platform. You could check out the getting started tutorials, to get started.

https://touchgfx.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/200529271

/Martin

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Hi @LalalandAudio​,

Briefly:

1) No

2) Yes. Use the designer to create the basic layout, interaction and animation configuration of your application. Then you'll write all your gui logic by hand in the specialized classes in gui/ (e.g. MyView will inherit from MyViewBase, generated by the designer). A scenario:

• You receive a signal in a second task that you send via message queue to the GUI Task
  • You evaluate that signal and forward the message to the active presenter
  • The presenter will now tell its view to update the new temperature to show on the gauge that was added through the designer

3) Check how the class is used in the screen definition code files (gui/) - Just copy the class definition source file and include it in your own specialized view

4) Yes you could do that with the box progress. But, yea, you won't get far without being able to write some code.

6) You only have the widgets available from the designer for now - Some things, like waveform displays, aren't widgets but more application specific things. You can do a waveform display using a Graph, and you'd have to do some coding to make it work the way you want.

7) You can run any application in the simulator - Press "run simulator" from the designer to run an application compiled with gcc. Or open the visual studio project in simulator/msvs. Let me know if you're having issues.

😎 Some mixins are configurable from the designer (Like Draggable). They can be used manually in code as well.

9) Yes you can.

Don't apologize. I hope this answers your questions. I know some answers are brief, but i'd prefer if we dove into those individually if you say we should. The manual is more or less the knowledge based on touchgfx.zendesk.com, for now, until we can migrate to the ST documentation platform. You could check out the getting started tutorials, to get started.

https://touchgfx.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/200529271

/Martin

LalalandAudio
Associate II

Thanks , this is very helpful .

Will go more in depth as I progress 🙂

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Looking forward to it 🙂

/Martin