cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

opengl no wayland

yakabmarci
Senior

Is it possible to use opengl without wayland?

the /vendor/lib libraries have dependency to libwayland

and as far as i am aware these libraries are binary only.

are there other versions of the libraries that can work with fb, without x or wayland?

otherwise this is a pretty significant limitation, if opengl is wayland only

4 REPLIES 4
Bernard PUEL
ST Employee

Yes. There is no dependency between opengl and wayland.

Now for the display, opengl can use different back ends like drm/kms (ST promotes), x11, wayland or fb (ST do not advice).

So for this library you can use any of these back ends.

yakabmarci
Senior

is some basic opengl example available?

just show a basic triangle on the display using opengl (vendor libs, not emulated) without wayland (and libwayland)

Giacomo
Associate II

Hi, I'm also interested on this topic.

I'm trying to start with just a little program using OpenGL without X or wayland. I have some troubles setting up the OpenGL context, cannot find useful documentation.

In my case it's the first time with OpenGL so i'm probably missing some key concepts, as the role of libEGL.

If you can provide reference material or a basic example it could be very helpful.

Thanks

rzr www.rzr.online.fr
Associate II

Hi @yakabmarci,

If you want to slim down graphics stack I think you need egl context , I think this is what qt image is supporting with eglfs (need to check this).

I am now trying to port an existing opengl 1.x application (not gles) so I suppose the glx backend should be used and thus mesa3d, but now I am not sure vivante blobs are supporting xorg ? @Bernard PUEL​  said x11 ? using hw acceleration ?

I just managed to deploy an opengl application to STM32MP1:

0690X00000BvkGXQAZ.jpg

If it helps I can provide more hints:

http://purl.org/rzr/pinball#

PS: A tutorial on wiki would be welcome too