cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My STM32MP157A-DK1 does not have an IP address, how to set it up?

JWu.71
Associate II

I am learning STM32MP157A-DK1 according to the 'STM32 MPU wiki by ST' getting started steps, but I found that the IP query command didn't work like the tutorial say:

**************** Tutorial ********************

Board $> ip addr show eth0

3: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group default qlen 1000

link/ether 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

inet xx.xx.xx.xx/22 brd xx.xx.xx.xx scope global dynamic eth0

valid_lft 159045sec preferred_lft 159045sec

inet6 xx::xx:xx:xx:xx/64 scope link

valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

****** My board response***********************

root@stm32mp1:~# ip addr show eth0

2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group default qlen 1000

link/ether 00:80:e1:42:5d:ce brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

inet6 fe80::280:e1ff:fe42:5dce/64 scope link 

valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

See? The Underlined part is missing;

Without IP , I can't use the SW4STM32 to do the step “ Debug As > ST's STM32 MPU C/C++ Application�?

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If your PC does not run a DHCP server, you could set manually the IP address using :

Board $> ifconfig eth0 uuu.***.yyy.zzz

(IP address should be set in an accessible range according to your PC IP and mask settings)

See also https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/How_to_configure_ethernet_interface

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PatrickF
ST Employee

MAC address is defined in OTP and in your case it is 00:80:e1:42:5d:ce you see (it is programmed during board manufacturing)

IP address is defined by your network DHCP. Is your board connected to a network with a RJ45 cable ?

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
JWu.71
Associate II

Thank you for your prompt reply !

My board is connected directly to my PC with a RJ45 cable, and the LED LD3 is blinking to indicate the data transmission. But IP is still unknown.😂

If your PC does not run a DHCP server, you could set manually the IP address using :

Board $> ifconfig eth0 uuu.***.yyy.zzz

(IP address should be set in an accessible range according to your PC IP and mask settings)

See also https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/How_to_configure_ethernet_interface

The command works!

Thank you very much.:D