cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hcf4010 as a voltage level translator

AThom.17
Associate II

Hello,

Iam using HCF4010 for my project.  I tied both vcc and vdd into 5V. The 6 input to the ic is connected to an esp32 chip(3.3V). Is there any problem while using like this? Is it take more current from the inupt side?

As per the above connections, i got an 5V output for each 3.3V input signal. But it affects the internal voltage produced by the esp32 chip, where that voltage is used for code storage.

​​

Warm regards,

Monisha om​

5 REPLIES 5
Ozone
Lead

> I tied both vcc and vdd into 5V. The 6 input to the ic is connected to an esp32 chip(3.3V). Is there any problem while using like this

Yes, I think there is.

The input level V(IH) for the 4010 at 5V is 3.5V - which the esp32 can never reach. See the datasheet at ST's website, DocID8190 Rev 8, table 6 at page 6.

It specifies a minimum of 3V for VDD, so you might get away with reducing the supply voltage for the hex buffer.

AThom.17
Associate II

Thank you for your quick response.

So can i tie both vcc and vdd into 3.3V instead of 5V?

According to the ST datasheet, yes. With CMOS standard logic, the threshold levels use to be proportional to Vcc.

Be aware that the 4010 is a CMOS standard component, made by different vendors under different names.

And while logically identical, some datasheet values might differ.

Perhaps consider the HC/HCT series of the 74-compatible logic ICs. Pretty sure they have buffer ICs too.

As iam beginner to this session,Could you please suggest me an buffer ic which is compatible for above condition.i.e input from esp32(3.3v) is changed to 5v level.or 3.3v to 3.3v buffer is also fine.

The HCF4010 from ST should work, the datasheet guaranties VDD(min) of 3.0V.

I am not a hardware guy, so if I do test/prototype boards, I use easily manageable/solderable ICs (preferably DIL package), sockets, and prototype boards.