cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Started Nucleo-64 STM32L412

nicholasjconn
Associate

I cannot get debugging working through the STM32CubeIDE. I can program the device using the OpenOCD debugger (but stepping through the code gives an error). However, I want to use the ST-LINK GDB server as the debugger, which does not work. I receive the following error:

Target no device found

Error in initializing ST-LINK device.

Reason: No device found on target.

I am incredibly frustrated with the lack of clear material for getting started. I was expecting to purchase the board, install any necessary drivers/tools, install the IDE, and start stepping through an example project. I prefer not to use the uVision IDE and was hoping that I am just not configuring the STM32CubeIDE correctly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
nicholasjconn
Associate

Well, nothing like figuring out your problem right after you post. For anyone else who is having the same problem, here is the solution:

I started blindly trying to program STM32Cube example projects for my board. These projects had the GPIO misconfigured and it was messing up the debug connection. After starting a new project and correctly selecting the debug pin options in STM32CubeMX and using the OpenOCD debugger to program the device, there were no more issues.

I think that it should be made more clear how to work with these example projects on the Nucleo-64 boards with clear examples on how to load and step through example code.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
nicholasjconn
Associate

Well, nothing like figuring out your problem right after you post. For anyone else who is having the same problem, here is the solution:

I started blindly trying to program STM32Cube example projects for my board. These projects had the GPIO misconfigured and it was messing up the debug connection. After starting a new project and correctly selecting the debug pin options in STM32CubeMX and using the OpenOCD debugger to program the device, there were no more issues.

I think that it should be made more clear how to work with these example projects on the Nucleo-64 boards with clear examples on how to load and step through example code.