cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we run TouchGFX on Linux/Wine ?

olivier.scalbert
Associate III

I just discover that the TouchGFX tool run only on Windows ...

:(

I do not use Windows and I have no plan to use it one day.

Do you know if it run on Linux with Wine ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Since this has been dug out again i'll update it:

TouchGFX Designer won't run on Wine, i think is the conclusion. Now that TouchGFX Generator (Creates TouchGFX HAL) is a part of CubeMX, which does run on linux, you can at least do that. But it doesn't help you much since you need TouchGFX designer to "complete" the project (bootstraps the application).

It's VERY far out in our plans to do a cross-platform solution of the designer, i have to say. I don't see it happening within the next few years. I know of people who dual-boot linux and windows to work with TouchGFX. If you're interested i could share some possible workflows, but they're a bit convoluted since you need both windows and linux.

/Martin

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Yeah, TouchGFX designer is based on .NET/WPF. I haven't tried it on Wine but i'm positive that others have - With mixed success.

Give it a try 🙂

/Martin

JGonz.2
Associate II

Hi @olivier.scalbert​ 

Did you run TouchGFX on Linux with Wine?

I'm trying to run on Ubuntu 16.04, but no success

olivier.scalbert
Associate III

Hi @JGonz.2​ 

I have tried on Debian Buster, with no success.

I have to admit that I didn't spend a lot of time and moved on.

Good luck !

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Since this has been dug out again i'll update it:

TouchGFX Designer won't run on Wine, i think is the conclusion. Now that TouchGFX Generator (Creates TouchGFX HAL) is a part of CubeMX, which does run on linux, you can at least do that. But it doesn't help you much since you need TouchGFX designer to "complete" the project (bootstraps the application).

It's VERY far out in our plans to do a cross-platform solution of the designer, i have to say. I don't see it happening within the next few years. I know of people who dual-boot linux and windows to work with TouchGFX. If you're interested i could share some possible workflows, but they're a bit convoluted since you need both windows and linux.

/Martin

SBonf.1
Associate

@Martin KJELDSEN​  Hi, i understand that the designer won't run on wine and there is no plan to create a cross-platform in the near future, but the designer is the only way to create a complete Touchgfx project? What i mean is, since the STM32CubeMX/IDE can generate some portion of the project, why we are forced to use the designer to generate the missing resurces for the project? The designer is very cool, but it's not as powerfull as the touchGFX core itself (the designer does not implement all the features available) so why the STM32Cube cannot bootstrap the application and the developer implements the graphics using only code? Or using a command line generator... There are a lot of people that want to create awesome projects with this framework but they cannot use it because they are developing on linux and use windows tecnically requires a license. Thank you in advance.

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Hi @SBonf.1​,

It's definitely not the only way. We were doing projects way before 4.8.0 when the designer was introduced. It just requires a better understanding of the structure and how to piece things together.

I used to have some helper scripts to help me "generate" parts of the code that the designer helps you with now.

I'd suggest that you take a look at some of the projects in the application templates/demos/examples. It's just c/c++ And you should be able to piece together how the general structure is - both project and GUI. Once you get that, i could help you understand what happens in code when you need to create a new screen, a new transition type, etc.

/Martin

olivier.scalbert
Associate III

Hi,

"I'd suggest that you take a look at some of the projects in the application templates/demos/examples. It's just c/c++"

Do you have any links where I can find TouchGFX generated C++ code for the STM32F469i ?

Thanks,

Olivier

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

If you open up the TouchGFX designer you'll find that you can create applications based on STM32F469i-DISCO. You can choose examples and demos to run on top of that application from within TouchGFX designer.

olivier.scalbert
Associate III

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your reply.

As I still not have Windows, I can not use TouchGFX designer !

What I want is to find is "the code generated" by TouchGFX designer somewhere !

So I can play with it on STM32F469i-DISCO.

Olivier