cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

linux performance

yakabmarci
Senior

I just got my dk2 kit, played with it a little bit, but the performance is so bad. it takes a lot to boot ~30sec and after that it is unresponsive, you click something, then several seconds later something happens. Is this considered normal, or it is just my board?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PatrickF
ST Employee

30second for booting the demo is normal.

The starter package and demo are not optimized for performances, but more for flexibility to work on various platform and to allow user tests, so, have all debug and logging enabled, and all peripherals are initialized, which overall is not good for boot time and performances. There is as well some user input wait delay on uBoot.

The demo is done in Python using GTK, which could also explain low responsiveness.

Note that DK2 HW is using 16-bit DDR3L and does not support UHS-I SD-Card modes. EV1 board will exhibit slightly better boot time using an UHS-I SD-Card.

We are preparing a wiki page to give some hint and recipes to optimize boot time in a real user application (10 seconds to Linux prompt is probably achievable). let's wait one or two weeks.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PatrickF
ST Employee

30second for booting the demo is normal.

The starter package and demo are not optimized for performances, but more for flexibility to work on various platform and to allow user tests, so, have all debug and logging enabled, and all peripherals are initialized, which overall is not good for boot time and performances. There is as well some user input wait delay on uBoot.

The demo is done in Python using GTK, which could also explain low responsiveness.

Note that DK2 HW is using 16-bit DDR3L and does not support UHS-I SD-Card modes. EV1 board will exhibit slightly better boot time using an UHS-I SD-Card.

We are preparing a wiki page to give some hint and recipes to optimize boot time in a real user application (10 seconds to Linux prompt is probably achievable). let's wait one or two weeks.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
yakabmarci
Senior

Ok, reasonable explanation, it would be a good idea to offer also a performance optimized demo, to have a feel what this platform is capable of. 10 sec target is still to slow. I'm trying to imagine a real world application where 10 sec is acceptable. More realistic would be <1 sec to static boot screen, <5 sec to (limited) functionality, interactivity

PatrickF
ST Employee

<1s is acheivable in a STANDBY mode wakeup case if external DDR content is retained in self-refresh (suspend to RAM). This is how most OpenOS system work.

Bernard PUEL
ST Employee

you can get a live video of other interesting demos here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gZze2bld48