cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeF4 package versus the stm32cubeide package - what are the differences?

rongal
Associate II

I intend to start a new project using the ST32F410, possibly first in a Nucleo package.

I have downloaded the STM32CubeF4 package as well as the stm32cubeide package.

What is the relationship between these two development packages offered by ST? Do I need them both, do they compliment each other, merge one into the other or are they seperate entities?

Where can I find example code for the ST32F410 in either of these packages?

3 REPLIES 3
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello,

STM32CubeIDE, it is an all-in-one multi-OS development tool to set and program all STM32 microcontrollers with IP configuration, code generation, code compilation, and debug features. It is part of the STM32Cube software ecosystem.

STM32CubeXX package (delivered per series) it is an STM32 MCU software package that include drivers (HAL, low-layer, etc.), middleware, and lots of example code used in a wide variety of real-world use cases.

So, you need the STM32CubeIDE tool with the STM32CubeF4 software package in your project.

The examples For STM32CubeF4 MCU package are available at the following location: Repository\STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.24.1\Projects

(For STM32F410xx-Nucleo board: Repository\STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.24.1\Projects\STM32F410xx-Nucleo\)

For more details, please refer to this link STM32Cube Ecosystem and How to use STM32CubeIDE (Video)

https://st-videos.s3.amazonaws.com/VD_How_to_use_STM32CubeIDE_0419_EN_ME.mp4

Best Regards,

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
rongal
Associate II

Thank you for your prompt response.

My understanding is that I need to install the STM32CubeIDE package, then install the STM32F4 package. Is the installation of the STM32F4 package done from within the IDE environment' or as a separate, independent installation?

I will, as you recommend, refer to the link you sent me.

TFlac
Associate III

The STM32CubeIDE is part of the STM32 Eco package as explained above. It is a package that is built around the Eclipse software environment allowing you to work with your C/C++ code. This IDE allows compilation, editing, debug and all the good things you will need for code development. The STM32CubeF3 is one of many completed packages that has complete code within. The "F3" suffix tell you this package is set for the STM32F3xx family. If you move to the F4 family you will need to download that package STM32CubeF4.

The problem you will have will be in using the STM32CubeIDE. The first answer is correct, there is a video, it is actually very well done except for the fact that this is the only information that ST has provided. So you will have problems if you look for a PDF for learning flow. This video is ALL there is.

Now, once you download STM32CubeF3 you will want to download a PDF showing and explaining how to use this package. The only document you will find is UM1766.

Now comes the unfortunate part; this UM1766 does no show any flow for STM32CubeIDE. STM32CubeIDE is so NEW that it is not in most learning documents. It should be explained in UM1766 but this document is older than STM32CubeIDE.

So now you will have a problem as you won't be able to learn STM32CubeIDE flow as it is not include YET! The ONE video won't show you either.

My thoughts until ST updates this User Manuals is to use SW4STM32, this is outlined in UM1766. Actually there are three featured IDE with UM1766. I chose SW4STM32 as it looks closest to STM32CubeIDE.

I am now working to get through this flow using STM32CubeF3 and SW4STM32 now.