cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does the STM32F413 Discovery kit not have a CAN bus interface?

MRile
Associate

The processor has three CAN ports and is the main reason I would want to use the discovery kit. Is there a different one available that uses the STM32F413ZHx processor I should be trying to use?

1 REPLY 1
Ozone
Lead

I'm not affiliated with ST, so I can only guess.

But having looked for a cheaper Cortex M eval board with CAN interface recently, I suppose the following:

• ST is seeing no relevant sales opportunities requiring CAN outside the automotive industry. This industry has it's own requirements (temperature, safety, security) which are not met by standard Cortex M devices.
  • ST disregards the few hobbyists that want a CAN interface on their cheap eval boards. That would raise the price, and drive away "cost aware" customers.

I ended up with a Keil MCB1700 board (with NXPs LPC1768). Downloading their "legacy" lib for that MCU, it took me about one hour to get a CAN example up and running on my own CAN bus.

Alternatively, you can just add a self-made (veroboards) or bought transceiver, but Cube-based CAN examples proved to be a royal pain in the *utt. I tried that, too.