cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i determine convergence time with VL6180X Time of Flight sensor. The application scenario is to be able to calculate speed, since speed is distance divide time.

VZakk
Associate

The picture i uploaded is a screenshot from the datasheet. And according to the datasheet, Effective max convergence time depends on the actual convergence time plus readout averaging sample period setting. Please i want to know how to calculate the convergence time.

This is simply because i want to be able to calculate speed. Since the sensor reads distance, if i know the time, then i can calculate speed.

Or if there is a better approach to be able to calculate speed with the VL6180X sensor, please help me out.

Thank you

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

The best way is to use the clock on your MCU. Then use the interrupt pin on the sensor.

If it's a robot, run the sensor in continuous mode, reset the clock on every interrupt.

The sensor will range continuously, triggering the interrupt when it finishes the range.

That way you will know precisely how many of your MCU clocks have gone by between measurement.

The clock in your MCU is pretty darn accurate (no matter which one you choose) so you shouldn't have an issue.

• john

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.