cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About SDRAM on STM32F746 microcontroller

ONi?�
Associate

Hi I am new in ST microcontrollers, I'm working with NXP microcontroller (LPC54018) and I would like migrate our project to ST microcontroller. The first reason is the use of TouchGFX designer, the second one is when it needs to access to SDRAM, sometimes it get slowly. To migrate the project we need to know if this environment could do better the use of SDRAM driver.

The questions are:

*Is there a posible that it won't happened(sometimes is visible the image painting process) with this micro?(using TouchGFX designer)

*The use of SDRAM is performed automatically? If not, are there some examples about use of SDRAM?

3 REPLIES 3

Not sure I fully understand the scope of the question, but

You have to bring up the SDRAM on the board. The pin, clocks, speed, geometry are all potentially design unique. This is best done via SystemInit(), but a lot of CubeMX/HAL do it later, but that just complicates C runtime startup code.

I'd recommend using 32-bit wide for video applications, some of the DISCO/EVAL boards use 16-bit because they want to demo other functionality and pin availability is limited.

You'll also need to tell the linker where the memory is, via linker script, scatter file, or equivalent GUI settings/menus

Usual linker/compiler rules apply to memory described, sections, and attributes, ie NOT STM32 specific, rather how tool chains function

SDRAM will run at 100-108 MHz (200-216 MHZ CPU), it is slower than internal memory, and painting/rendering frame buffer operations will contend for bandwidth.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
ONi?�
Associate

Hi Thanks for reply

Well maybe I wrote my quiestion in a wrong way. The question is: Is there an example of how to use SDRAM?

Unpack the CubeF7 repository, or use the one CubeMX manages. Dozens of examples for several of the EVAL/DISCO boards with SDRAM on them.

STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.15.0\Drivers\BSP\STM32746G-Discovery\stm32746g_discovery_sdram.c

STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.15.0\Projects\STM32746G-Discovery\Examples\BSP\Src\sdram.c

STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.15.0\Projects\STM32746G-Discovery\Examples\FMC\FMC_SDRAM

TouchGFX presumably can generate templates for the same EVAL and DISCO boards, build/review those.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..