cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it Possible to use Accelerometer(IIS2DLPC) for Angle Measurement in Vibrating Medium ??

SM.19
Associate

I am using IIS2DLPC accelerometer for Angle Measurement .

My Question is :

Whether it is Advisible to use II2DLPC for Angle Measurement, when the IIS2DLPC is Placed on the Vibrating Object ??.

Example Scenario :

If a shaft( IIS2DLPC is placed on the Shaft) is Fitted inside the Car, Is it possible to Measure the Tilt Angle of the Shaft when the Car is in the Movement ??

3 REPLIES 3
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

​Hi @SM.19​ , if the vibration object produces a noise which hasn't significant DC component, you can set a low ODR and a LPF filter (e.g. LPF2, p.30 del datasheet) which works at ODR/4 and enables you to reject the in-band noise. Btw, I suggest you to try to work in an as much as possible controlled environment, because accuracy can vary with temperature. Regards

MKear
Associate II

I say No. Accelerometers become quite impossible on anything which is fast moving or vibrating. You need an gyro as well, combining the two with sensor fusion. The outcome is 1000 times better. We've recently spent lots of time arriving at this conclusion. The Matlab imufilter() function is a good place to start.

Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

The better ST sensor for tilt measurement is IIS3DHHC, a precision inclinometer which focuses on this kind of application. Btw, if you have the possibility to implement a sensor fusion / IMU with a 6axis module, this will sure be of your help. Regards​