Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot debug and download flash on STM32H753 eval board with Keil

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Dear experts,

Any hints what can be the problem?

I have STM32H753I-EVAL2 just out of box, no changes made.

https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/stm32h753i-eval.html

Built an example app with Keil MDK. If it matters it is LwIP_HTTP_Server_Raw.

Keil sees the ST-LINK/v3 on the board but cannot erase and write internal flash.

Erase and program progress runs quickly but verification fails. All flash bytes read as FF.

CubeProgrammer v 2.1.0 successfully downloads the program and it runs fine -

after the power and debugger cable disconnected.

Without reset, after Keil failure the CubeProgrammer also cannot connect, and the onboard ST-Link cannot connect (puts a error message file on its USB drive).

When CubeProgrammer can connect, it shows that the memory is partially written. Spans of valid data interleaved with spans of FFs, But not all FFs, as Keil reports.

Is this a know issue with H7 or this board, or I need some extra setting?

Thanks in advance,

Pavel A.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Check SW1 position

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Must be a newer board, the H7 EVAL I have uses the ST-LINK/V2

Make sure you have picked the correct Flash Algorithm, check which banking version it is failing with, and pick the other one.

Dial back the SWD frequency

Use uV 5.28(a)

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Hi Clive,

Yes this is "revision E" board.

As to the flash algo, Keil seems to use the correct loader (something named M7 and 2048K) - though my Keil version is not latest.

What is banking version? Do you mean the banks switched? But Cube Programmer succeeded to write it.

This is my first H7. Can this be caused by ECC , the manual says something about errors when writing incomplete 32-bit blocks... ?

-- pa

Update: Converted a minimal project from the board examples from SW4STM to Atollic (just the template) .

Atollic can upload the executable to the board, but then its debugger immediately breaks at a weird location (in the built-in bootloader?)

When I set the PC and SP manually, it runs correctly and debugger seems to work.

When importing SW4STM to Atollic, is replace of linker script or startup code needed?

-- pa

Check SW1 position

Thanks Clive! that was it, So now I can debug with Atollic - but not with Keil 5.27.

Does Keil 5.28 debugger work well with this board? ITM prints?

Thanks,

Pavel A.

I'm predominantly using the ST-LINK/V3 and uV 5.28 with the NUCLEO-H743ZI2 and STM32H745I-DISCO.

The ITM/SWV appears to be working (higher clocks/baud), but isn't my primary debug output, so can't conclusively say if it drops or not.

I think ST is still working out the kinks. v2.34.25

http://www.keil.com/fid/1jbpv0wrommj1weiesw1xcyxtw3ojwumwicqd1/files/eval/mdk528a.exe

https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stsw-link007.html

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Keil debug problem resolved.

In the IDE pack manager updated the 'H7 pack to v 2.3 (June 2019),

enabled it in debugger settings, went thru all debug settings and clicked OK.

Now Keil v 5.27 downloads into the flash and runs the demo fine.

(I don't get 5.28 yet,)

-- pa