cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bluetooth classic profiles (SPP / A2DP) on STM32WB

JUker
Associate II

Hello,

I have experience using Bluetooth classic profiles: SPP and A2DP.

Started using STM32WB and I understand it doesn't support these two above profiles, it only has a stack for BLE. Is this correct?

Can I use STM32WB with SPP and/or A2DP, if yes - how? if no - what profiles supported by the STM32WB do you recommend (to replace SPP and A2DP)?

In addition, I've noticed ST has Bluetooth devices of series BlueNRG and SPBTLE: what is the difference between these two and the STM32WB?

Do they support SPP and A2DP

Thanks,

Jig

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Christophe Arnal
ST Employee

Hello,

The STM32WB does only implement a BLE stack. Therefore, SPP and A2DP which are BT profiles cannot be supported.

However, there are two BLE applications which are implemented that will provide similar feature.

SPP may be replaced with the BLE_CableReplacement application which is delivered in the STM32WBCube_FW package available on the ST website.

A2DP may be replaced by a voice application based on STM32WB which is delivered in a another package found at this link

These two application share the same FW architecture so it should be easy to merge them into one single application.

BlueNRG and SPBTLE are provided by another ST division.

These two products have a specific HW and FW architecture.

The STM32WB is a product part of the STM32 families. Therefore, it shares the same HW and FW architecture than all STM32 product. An already running application on STM32 that would require a BLE connectivity may be moved easily to the STM32WB.

You may create a new post to request details on either BlueNRG and SPBTLE so that relevant people may answer you. As far as I know, BlueNRG is only a BLE product as well and I think that is the same for SPBTLE.

Regards.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Vyacheslav
Senior II

Hi.

Pay attention to your phrase "classic profiles". The listed profiles apply only to classic Bluetooth, and BLE does not support classic profiles.

That chip support only BLE and you cannot use him with any classic profiles.

SPP can be replaced "BLE_CableReplacement" example.

A2DP - can not be replaced.

Regards,

Vyacheslav

JUker
Associate II

Thank you for your reply!

Where can I find the "BLE_CableReplacement" example?

I've installed CubeMX with STM32WB package version 1.2.0

Vyacheslav
Senior II

in folder:

CUBE_REPOSITORY\STM32Cube_FW_WB_V1.2.0\Projects\P-NUCLEO-WB55.Nucleo\Applications\BLE\BLE_CableReplacement

Christophe Arnal
ST Employee

Hello,

The STM32WB does only implement a BLE stack. Therefore, SPP and A2DP which are BT profiles cannot be supported.

However, there are two BLE applications which are implemented that will provide similar feature.

SPP may be replaced with the BLE_CableReplacement application which is delivered in the STM32WBCube_FW package available on the ST website.

A2DP may be replaced by a voice application based on STM32WB which is delivered in a another package found at this link

These two application share the same FW architecture so it should be easy to merge them into one single application.

BlueNRG and SPBTLE are provided by another ST division.

These two products have a specific HW and FW architecture.

The STM32WB is a product part of the STM32 families. Therefore, it shares the same HW and FW architecture than all STM32 product. An already running application on STM32 that would require a BLE connectivity may be moved easily to the STM32WB.

You may create a new post to request details on either BlueNRG and SPBTLE so that relevant people may answer you. As far as I know, BlueNRG is only a BLE product as well and I think that is the same for SPBTLE.

Regards.

JUker
Associate II

Thank you!

Hello,

You are correct.

When I said " can be replaced", I meant that from an application point of view, it could be possible to provide a similar feature.

So, the Voice Demo cannot replace exactly the A2DP profile and for sure will not be compatible but I believe an application built upon the Voice Demo on STM32WB may provide to the end user a similar feature than a BT device implementing A2DP.

Regards.

JUker
Associate II

I've loaded the BLE_CableReplacemet project to two STM32WB55 Nucleo boards, using STM2CubeIDE.

One with GATT_CLIENT set to "1" the other set to "0".

Any VT100 terminal you recommend using?

Any video, instructions, etc?

I've tried using "Putty" with instructions in the readme.txt found in the BLE_CableReplacement folder.

Help needed please!

I don't know what else to try and do... :\

EMECH
ST Employee

Hello,

Here is the configuration for Tera Term VT terminal:

After a reset of the Client board and a switch off the blue LED you should see on each terminal window the following screen:

On each terminal, written characters are sent after each hit of the "enter" key.

Best regards.

Houps,

Better with the associated pictures:

0690X00000AA60qQAD.jpg