cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange behavior with VL53L1X between transparent and reflective objects

Nick Wilke
Associate II

I was testing the returns from the VL53L1X to build up an algorithm for a project, and one of the edge cases is an object outside of a transparent 'wall'. Normally, when there is an object outside of the transparent 'wall', the sensor picks up the object with a slightly lower signal strength than usual. However, when I did it with a reflective object (sheet metal, mostly), the shape of the object seems to be projected where the glass is. Even with a cylinder of sheet metal, the sensor returns that there is a cylindrical shape of points where the (flat) transparent wall is.

It's fortunately very good for me for this to behave in this way, but I'd like to see if I can confirm that this is a reasonable return, and not just a lucky scenario.

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

​There is lots of stuff going on here.

1) Transparent to you is not necessarily transparent at 940nm. Plane glass is transparent, Low-E glass is not. And most plastic is transparent to 940nm, no matter what color it is.

2) Even the clearest glass is only 95% transparent.  I'm guessing that's your slightly lower signal than usual.

I don' t quite understand what you are doing, but I'm sure your result is not 'lucky'. But you might get varied results with different test scenarios - like dirty glass. So do check that. 

Keep in mind ALL the photons are averaged. So with a really  bright target like sheet metal that will dominate. With a darker target, the glass will start to influence the average and you will get a different number.

And I'd worry about photons hitting a curved mirror-like surface. Those photons will bounce off and not be detect at all.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.