cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STEVAL-IDP004V1 (master-board) either not communicating to PC through RS485 or not detecting a sensor out of the box

Pmond
Associate II

Hi,

We have recently purchased the STEVAL-BFA001V1B kit and planned to connect the STEVAL-IDP004V1 to the STEVAL-IDP005V1 as we planned to use the STEVAL-IDP004V1 GUI interface to allow for streaming off data from the sensor.

The manuals we have used are:

https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/sales_and_marketing/presentation/product_presentation/group0/47/a2/91/a0/fe/ca/42/89/steval-bfa001v1b_getting_started_guide/files/steval-bfa001v1b_quick_start_guide.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.steval-bfa001v1b_quick_start_guide.pdf

https://www.avnet.com/opasdata/d120001/medias/docus/190/STEVAL-BFA001V1B%20User%20Manual.pdf

They make reference to updating the firmware of the STEVAL-IDP005V1 through dragging across "STEVAL-IDP005_ConditionMonitoring_IOL_v1.1.0.bin." The GUI after doing this results in the following error:

"[>> TX] START

[ERR] Command ERROR (TRASMISSION FAIL) - RECEIVED DATA

[>> TX] COMMAND END

[ERR] Communication with STEVAL-IDP004V1 BOARD failed.

Please reset the BOARD and the GUI and retry."

The 2nd manual refers to disconnect the assembly that we tried with no hope of any differences.

The STEVAL-IDP004V1 itself has 4 green flashes lights for each sensor (sensor 1, sensor 2 and so fourth) that has not changed implying that the sensor (STEVAL-IDP005V1) is not detected as a sensor.

Additionally, we are unable to determine whether there is any communication between the STEVAL-IDP004V1 and the PC.

We have uploaded another project (Condition_Monitoring_SRV) through the System Workbench by running/debugging and then connected through putty which following a reset of the STEVAL-IDP005V1 means data is streamed from the sensor.

After changing the baud rate to 38400, GUI application works to some extend but fails on sensor command.

I am following the user manual but the baud rate mentioned in it is completely different.!!!

[>> TX] START

[<< RX] *********************************

* STMicroelectronics *

* IO - Link MULTI-PORT SOLUTION *

SELECT MASTER OR DEVICE

[>> TX] MASTER

[<< RX]

INSERT ADDRESS IC

[>> TX] 0

[<< RX]

INSERT OPERATING MODE

[>> TX] WR_S

[<< RX]

INSERT REGISTER VALUE

[>> TX] 096,248,033,122,122,122,122,

[<< RX]

PROGRAMMING DONE

[>> TX] COMMAND END

[<< RX]

SELECT MASTER OR DEVICE

[>> TX] DEVICE

[<< RX]

INSERT SLAVE NODE

[>> TX] 0

[<< RX]

INSERT SENSOR COMMAND

[>> TX] IDS

[>> TX] COMMAND END

[ERR] Command ERROR (TRASMISSION FAIL) - RECEIVED DATA I=I5R?

[ERR] IDS COMMAND FAIL - NODE 0 - ATTEMPT 1

Please reset the BOARD and the GUI and retry.

12 REPLIES 12
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi Pranav,

sorry for the delay in our answer. I contacted the team who developed the platform you are using and regarding the difficult you are facing in connecting the sensor node they suggest me to check if the adapter RS485-USB you are using follows the UM specs shown below (UM p.20).

0690X000009axdCQAQ.png

Regards

Can we perhaps just delete the 3-4 duplicates of this thread?

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Pmond
Associate II

Hello

Thanks for the response.

When i tried connecting the RS485- USB connector (https://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/Modules/DS_USB-COM485-PLUS4.pdf) and connected its only pin1 (DB9 connector on 4 way IO board) to pin1 of above converter) , pin2 (DB9 connector on ) to pi4way IO board ) pin2 of above converter) and pin 5 to ground for both connectors.

Is my connection wrong?

Sure will try to delete duplicates soon. Thanks again!!!

Best Regards

Pranav Mondhe

Flow
Associate

Hi,

I have exaktly the same problem. Do you get fixed it?

Best Regards

Pmond
Associate II

Hello

I tried replacing many RS485- USB connections- neither of them helped me to work with UI.

Something is issue either in firmware update of IDP004V1 board or GUI Issue.

And why standard B.R mentioned in manual is not working and 38400 is working - which looks very weird according to me. Though still UI doesn't work with sensor pack.

Best Regards

Pranav

Can you please please suggest which RS485- USB model to use. I tried with many of them - UI doesn't talk with the slave(sensor)

Please help

But Still issue has not resolved yet.

MOtt
Associate II

After looking at the photo in the STEVAL-BFA001V1B manual, the RS485 to USB adapter I believe they used is the antaira UTS-1458B.

LMamb.1
Associate

Any solution so far. I am also facing the same issue. I am able to connect and receive data on ST_Link V2 using putty . But when I connect using IO -Link board with RS485 convertor with the default baud rate error message is displayed

231[>> TX] START

[>> TX] COMMAND END

Please reset the BOARD and the GUI and retry."

But when I reduce the baud rate to 38400 the following message is displayed.

SELECT MASTER OR DEVICE

[>> TX] MASTER

[<< RX] 

INSERT ADDRESS IC

[>> TX] 0

[<< RX] 

INSERT OPERATING MODE

[>> TX] WR_S

[<< RX] 

INSERT REGISTER VALUE

[>> TX] 096,248,033,122,122,122,122,

[<< RX] 

PROGRAMMING DONE

[>> TX] COMMAND END

[<< RX] 

SELECT MASTER OR DEVICE

[>> TX] DEVICE

[<< RX] 

INSERT SLAVE NODE

[>> TX] 0

[<< RX] 

INSERT SENSOR COMMAND

[>> TX] IDS

[*ERR*] Command ERROR (TRASMISSION FAIL) - RECEIVED DATA 

[>> TX] COMMAND END

[*ERR*] Command ERROR (TRASMISSION FAIL) - RECEIVED DATA ?OR

[*ERR*] IDS COMMAND FAIL - NODE 0 - ATTEMPT 1

[*ERR*] Communication with STEVAL-IDP004V1 BOARD failed.

Please reset the BOARD and the GUI and retry.

Please help

Regards

Lakshmanan