cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to run precompiled firmware on BlueTile (STEVAL-BCN002V1)

Stecklo
Senior

I'm trying to flash example firmware (BLE Sensor Demo) from STSW-BLUETILE-DK 1.2.0 to BlueTile using BlueNRG-1_2 Flasher v3.1.0. I' getting green LED On on BlueTile (as if it is still flashing) instead of blue LED (when it is advertising). No advertising is running. In fact, I've managed to get working application running once or twice, but it was totally random.

7 REPLIES 7
Stecklo
Senior

I've managed to connect via ST-LINK integrated in P-NUCLEO-WB55 (for some reason P-NUCLEO-WB55 and STEVAL-BCN002V1B SWD connectors can't be connected directly). BlueNRG ST-LINK Utility is not as buggy as Flasher Utility. But result is the same - programmed, verified, still no advertising

Stecklo
Senior

Debugging with TrueSTUDIO shows, that execution falls into Hard_Fault_Handler. I cannot figure out the reason. I'm new to TrueSTUDIO and Eclipse. What debugging informatin could help figuring out this problem?

ozcan
Associate II

Same here. I tried a couple of example firmwares(sensorDemo, beacon, etc.) that are already compiled but the results are same for all.

ozcan
Associate II

More news. It sometimes work, sometimes does not unfortunately. As an example; I flashed BLE_SensorDemo.hex file and it just stucked with green LED. After that I flashed BLE_SensorDemo (with OTA ResetManager).hex file and it work. Finally, I flashed the first file BLE_SensorDemo.hex again and it worked this time... Just random. I don't know if I continue to work with this product but I am sure the documentation is so poor and it is hard to find even some basic information about the board, flasher, projects, configurations, stack etc...

I don't want to talk about the choice of using a CR2032 battery for a board that has a peak current value around 30mA (UM2501 page 27 Figure 15. Average current consumption of BlueTile BCN002V1 when connected to ST BlueMS app on the smartphone.)... Congrats and good luck ST!

AGurr.11
Associate II

This thread helped me a little bit ago and I thought I would put in my 0.0000022 BTC.

I had a similar issue with the blue tile not working and I ended up flashing with OTA and it worked again. Later I was having more issues and was having a back and forth with an ST tech/employee. He talked about the OTA Reset Manager a little bit. From my understanding, BlueNRG chip comes from the factory with a bootloader. There is a chance that you perform an action to mess that up or erase that bootloader. The OTA Reset Manager file has that bootloader and it can be restored on the chip.

This also may be the reason why it's a spotty fix. Maybe the same action is performed when reflashing from OTA version to regular version...not sure.

Feel free to correct me if I have this wrong.

Vishwanatha Hattera
Associate II

Question on similar lines, hardware being using is "STEVAL-BCN002V1" BlueTile. Flasher being used is "RF-Flasher Utility v4.2.0".

I used the STSW-BLUETILE-DK 1.3.0\Firmware\BLE_Examples\ BLE_SensorDemo\BlueNRG-2\BLE_SensorDemo(withOTAResetManager).hex

and as mentioned ozcan it works and can see the device on ST BLE Sensor app.

Now I build the binary myself by using Atollic True STUIDIO version 9.3.0 for the "STSW-BLUETILE-DK 1.3.0\Project\BLE_Examples\BLE_SensorDemo\TrueSTUDIO\BlueNRG-2" and flashed, I see the LED turn solid GREEN. Device is not seen in ST BLE Sensor app.

To test simple application, I tried

"STSW-BLUETILE-DK 1.3.0\Firmware\BlueNRG1_Periph_Examples\ RNG\Terminal\BlueNRG-2" which does work

but

"STSW-BLUETILE-DK 1.3.0\Project\BlueNRG1_Periph_Examples\RNG\Terminal \TrueSTUDIO\BlueNRG-2"

doesn't.

For building the binary I am using the default compiler settings and configurations.

So to me it seems that some compiler settings could be wrong. Or the binaries is not generated out of the sources given here. Also, its' very well possible that the binaries might have been generated out of KEIL or IAR and not tested for TrueSTUDIO, which I am using.

Any leads into this are very helpful.

Any ST team members part of this community please let me know if you need further details from my side for you to provide me the answers.

Thanks

Sebastien DENOUAL
ST Employee

Hi @Vishwanatha Hattera​ ,

About rebuilding with Atollic, as answered in other topics, that could be linked to Atollic version.

I would advise to use KEIL (free license available)

As you noticed, please note that  STSW-BLUETILE-DK 1.3.0 is implementing OTA. For this, there is two area in flash :

1st section is the reset_manager in charge of OTA (and jump to main flash section)

2nd section : is the application firmware

Hence, to execute SDK example application (prebuilt binaries) : flashing reset manager is also mandatory.

Regards,

Sebastien.