cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you get the STM32L476 Discovery LCD to work

JHinc
Associate II

First of all, I am very new at this stuff. I have an STM32L476 Discovery, and I have been going in circles to get the LCD glass to operate. So far comments have been to look at other devices such as the Evaluation board, or how this is done with other devices using the LCD glass. Then if you try to load the demonstration program, you can't modify it without messing up the demonstration program. Ultimately, I would like to start with CubeMX, so that I can place my program in its own workspace (not in the repository). I would like step by step instructions (yes hold my hand) on how to use LCD glass for this device, not others. Oh btw, I will probably stick with Atolic True studio, because Cube IDE does not let me create the hex file. Is ST really this bad in making their programs work together, and are they really this bad in documenting how to make their products work? If you select a board with cubeMX, why does it not generate code for the board instead of the processor?I would like to learn this stuff, but if I can't get through the basics, then I may have to revert back to Arduino.

4 REPLIES 4

Look for examples in the CubeL4 software trees

STM32Cube_FW_L4_V1.14.0\Drivers\BSP\STM32L476G-Discovery\stm32l476g_discovery_glass_lcd.c

STM32Cube_FW_L4_V1.14.0\Projects\32L476GDISCOVERY\Demonstrations\readme.txt

STM32Cube_FW_L4_V1.14.0\Projects\32L476GDISCOVERY\Examples\BSP\Src\lcdglass.c

Sorry, I don't use CubeMX, or Atollic/CubeIDE, got productive work to do, and ST currently seems to have poor QA and SW processes.

Tend to just selectively take the BSP/HAL code, merge and port stuff between boards/platforms, and write my own code.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Piranha
Chief II

> Is ST really this bad in making their programs work

Yes, totally.

More details here:

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000BADO4cSQH/how-to-write-programs-for-stm32

P.S. In Arduino world basic things can be easier to get working, but the problem is that software is so architecturally limited, that one can't make anything serious with it. Therefore the best way is to learn ARM based microcontrollers the hard way once and be the master of MCUs "forever"! =)

Here is some code using the glass LCD on the L4 Disco. Not neat and crystal clear I admit and I don't provide detailed description, but it should map fairly directly to the LCD chapter in RM which you have no doubt already read thoroughly.

Or use the Cube examples Clive mentioned, if you prefer it that way. I don't use Cube/CubeMX or other stuff you've mentioned so I can't help with that.

JW

JHinc
Associate II

Thank you, everyone for your help. I was able to start with the BSP example. Too bad I cannot copy the example to some other place. John