cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with upgrading SensorTile.box (STEVAL-MKSBOX1V1)

MKind
Associate

Can someone please help me with upgrading the firmware in my SensorTile.box (STEVAL-MKSBOX1V1). I am successfully being able to connect to the device using the Android application "ST BLE Sensor v4.4.3", and I get a notification saying that there is a new firmware available, but nothing is happening when I select to "Start firmware upgrade". Can I download the file "SENSORTILE.BOX_v3018.bin" from somewhere and manually upgrade the firmware instead?

6 REPLIES 6
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @MKind​ , sorry for the very late answer. Still getting troubles? Meanwhile 2 more FW upgrades have been set available. Regards

MKind
Associate

Hi!

I tried upgrading the device a week or so ago, using the version 1.0.0 downloaded from st.com and uploaded to the device using the Android app ST BLE Sensor. Doing so bricked the device. I cannot get the LED to light up anymore when I plug the USB cable into the device, nor does a search in the ST BLE Sensor app find it.

Got any tips for me?

Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @MKind​ , if you are not using the ST.box long time, you need first of all to plug it via USB to allow the battery charging. Then you have to check the BLE connectivity between your ST.box and your smartphone (btw, is your smartphone a Huawei phone?). The connection is ON if the blue led blinks.

But how did you exactly uploaded the FW? In case of no recent upgrade, when you open the app and detect the ST.box device via BLE, the FW will be automatically downloaded. But this is not the case, I suppose. So you can follow the below instructions to upload a default .dfu file in .dfu mode (no need of ST link V2 or V3 utility):

• install DfuSe utility (STSW-STM32080 package), if not already done (please follow the first section of the UM0412 for the description of the dfu mode)
  • create a dfu file e.g. from the .bin file BLESensors.bin in \en.FP-SNS-STBOX1_firmware\STM32CubeFunctionPack_STBOX1_V1.0.0\Projects\STM32L4R9ZI-SensorTile.box\Applications\BLESensors\Binary. You have to use the DFU File Manager installed together with the DfuSe tool. Please follow p.16 instruction of the UM0412.
  • remove the ST.box package, if not yet done
  • unplug the battery from the ST.box, if plugged
  • press the BOOT button and plug it to your PC via USB cable while keeping the button pressed
  • release the BOOT button once the USB is plugged
  • open the DfuseDemo app and check if your device is recognized
  • if the device is detected, upload the .dfu file created at point 2 (please follow the User interface part of UM0412 for the description of the dfu mode)
  • once the FW has been upgraded, release the .dfu mode

Regards

same thing is happned with me. Can you (@MKind​)  suggest how to get over it?

@Eleon BORLINI​  This does not help me, also DfuSe is obsolete, but still i tried it and actually it does not detect my st.box and that's why i tried with STM32CubeProgrammer but the device is bricked, nothing is happening, I cannot get the LED to light up anymore when I plug the USB cable into the device, nor does a search in the ST BLE Sensor app find it.

Regards

Rstua.1
Senior

Not sure if people are still looking for an answer to bricking their SensorTile.box. This is what I did...

1. Got here: https://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/stsw-mksbox1-bl.html
  2. Download and unzip the BLEFOTA_BL_1.0.0.bin file.
  3. Open the sensortile.box and connect the sensortile.box with the supplied cable and PCB adapter to a ST-LINK/V2 programmer pod.
  4. Use STM32CubeProgrammer to program the sensortile.box.

...This still triggers a FW upgrade. But it should at least get the sensortile.box up and running again.