cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TouchGFX supported on STM32MP1?

Friedl
Associate III

Hi!

As the TouchGFX library is free for STM32, will it also support the STM32MP1 running under Linux?

Regards

Friedl

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

@Friedl​,

It's not something we've planned, at least. And we're not talking about it much. It was never really a plan to target application processors with advanced hardware acceleration / opengl. But you never know 🙂

/Martin

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Bumsik Kim
Senior

I'm not 100% sure but at least the graphics is not supposed be handled by the Cortex-M core in STM32MP1. Then I don't see any point of using TouchGFX where you can use far more sophisticated GUI libraries like Qt under Linux environment.

Maybe if you need high performance TouchGFX you probably want to look at STM32H7.

Friedl
Associate III

If you are a company and plan to use TouchGFX on STM32F4/7 or STM32H7, can you use the same GUI on Linux as well?

Don't need to reinvent the wheel using QT or something else.

Friedl
Associate III

Could anybody from ST possibly shed some light on the use of TouchGFX on Linux running on eg. STM32MP157C?

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Hi @Friedl​,

TouchGFX is not supported on MP1 yet. In order to utilize the full potential of the MP1 TouchGFX has to work in a vastly different way. But i'm sure it's on the road-map somewhere =) TouchGFX works on Linux, though not officially but without hardware acceleration.

So for now i'd have to agree with @Bumsik Kim​. Maybe that'll change in the future 🙂

/Martin

Friedl
Associate III

Hello @Martin KJELDSEN​ !

Just wanted to know if TouchGFX support for STM32MP1 (running on Cortex-A on top of Linux Kernel, NOT Cortex-M), supporting all acceleration features of the platform, made it onto the TouchGFX roadmap?

If yes, when is it planned?

(Edit: typo fixed, added reference to Linux).

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Sorry, it's not on the roadmap yet (Maybe if it's a very long road) - While the task of getting it to run isn't hard (I've had it running on Yocto Linux on Cortex-A) the task of making it perform as well as it can outside non STM32-Cortex M based MCUs is something that will take some effort. I still won't rule it out, even though it's a different direction than we intended =)

/Martin

Shree
Associate II

Hi @Martin KJELDSEN​ ,

Can you please share how did you manage to run it using Yocto linux? Is it possible to share the source for experimental purpose ?

Regards,

Shree

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Oh boy. My old Yocto setup ran on NXP IMX6 before TouchGFX was aquired. All i had running was an fbdev based solution - Meaning, i had no hardware acceleration at all because it defies the core code structure designed for simple blit-ops of e.g. Cortex-M hardware acceleration (DMA2D). I'm not sure it would make sense to give you pointers on how to do it because TouchGFX is locked to STM32 currently.

Meaning, it MAY run on the M4 of an MP1, but its nothing ive tried.

/Martin

Shree
Associate II

Hi @Martin KJELDSEN​ ,

I want to try it on the STM32MP157C based board . It is also running the yocto linux using fbdev. I am okay even if it is running without hardware acceleration . I just want to try it once on the STM32MP1 . As you have already tried it , it will be great if you can give some pointers.

Regards,

Shree