cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change USB COM Port of name ?

Associate II

Excuse me.

Can I change COM Port of name in keil C ?

if there is no way , how to change it name ?

0690X000009ZhckQAC.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Some of the naming might be found in the descriptors. Windows may associate a name in .INF via VID\PID

Have your own vendor ID, and supply .INF you can likely call it whatever you want.

Might also be able to change present name with the registry entry for the device node.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Some of the naming might be found in the descriptors. Windows may associate a name in .INF via VID\PID

Have your own vendor ID, and supply .INF you can likely call it whatever you want.

Might also be able to change present name with the registry entry for the device node.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Associate II

Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics\Software\Virtual comport driver\Win7

I found .INF file and change DESCRIPTION define .

But I renewed to install , result it failure

It seem have Anti-write mechanism.

How can I solve this problem?0690X0000097wwIQAQ.png

You most likely can't. I don't have it installed on my PC here, but the driver is probably "signed", which means there is a ".cat" file along with the ".inf" file. The ".cat" file contains hashes of all the installation files associated with that driver, including the .inf file. If you edit he .inf the hash changes and Windows won't install it.

I haven't tried this, but I suspect your best bet is to edit the registry after you install the driver (or on Win10, WIndows installs its "in-box" driver). If this is for your own personal use, that should be OK. But if this is for a product that you want to ship, it means you need a way to edit the registry on your customer's PCs. This may be possible from the installer that you would have to create and ship with your product. But perhaps a better route might be to contact your local ST rep and ask about a custom USB PID/VID from ST, which would (I presume) also give you the ability to customize the .inf file.